Chapter One - The Reawakening

The cold blood flowing in my body began to warm up. I felt as though my body was slowly coming back to life. Though, I still felt weak and extremely tired. An odd sensation prickled through my chest, and I knew I was regaining my energy; my existence. I was still confused, however, to where I was. And so, with curiosity coming over me, I fluttered my heavy eye lids open.

All I could grasp was darkness and instantly, I assumed nightfall was surrounding the air. Trying my best to take in my surroundings, I finally realised I was staring at a dark, starry night sky, lying on my back. The silver moon illuminated the sky with a hoary glow.

I wasn’t sure how long I had been there, or even why I was there. My whole body was tangled in confusion. I pulled myself up, and my feet stood firmly on the ground. Looking around, I noticed I was stood in a dark, large yard as the breeze blew against my face. The tall grass swished around as the wind gusted and tall fences were bordering every edge of the yard. I suddenly spotted a young boy with dark hair, walking into the darkness, his back turned. My eyes automatically narrowed in thought. Surely, the youngster was eight, or maybe nine. What was he doing out so late? My mind unexpectedly questioned my presence in the yard. What was I doing here?

I could feel the beads of sweat distributing my forehead as I took a deep breath. The cool air rushed down my dry throat.

I couldn’t remember anything whatsoever, no matter how hard I tried to explore my memory; it was empty. The night around me sent a shiver up my spine. Yet, the breeze felt so soothing against my skin as I walked around in the autumn leaves. For every step I took, a crunch entered my ears. Just as I was about to discover my surroundings, I captured a figure at the corner of my eye. My gaze turned to its direction. It was the young boy again, walking in my direction. I looked at him, sensing his need to say something. Accordingly, the next thing I knew, he was already talking to me.

“Excuse me?” My body jumped and turned to face him, as he spoke. His voice was unsteady and fear ran through it. The young boy watched me, strands of his dark hair covering his forehead. His glistening eyes looked oddly familiar, but nonetheless, I spoke nothing about it.

“Will you help me get back home?” His voice arose again. “I’m not sure how I got here.” My body filled with wonder. I just nodded in response. I truly had no idea how I had got here for myself but something from within told me to stay with the boy for guidance. Now, not only did I have to get myself out of here, I was also expected to lead a young stranger into his home too.

First thing is first; find out where you are I told myself, walking over to an odd-shaped stone resting on the ground. My dark curls blew across my face as I bent down to examine the engraved markings of the stone. The cold wind sprinted around me violently, as I read;

R.I.P

Marlena Gray – 1903-1917

“Gone, but never forgotten.”

The writing was carved in very neatly, in an italic form of writing. There were rotting bouquets of flowers and very old notes sitting at the place of the stone. I blinked in utter confusion. My blood sprinted violently and that’s when it hit me. I was in a graveyard.

My breathing grew faster and heavier as my body panicked. I could already smell the trouble neighbouring me. Out of all places, I never imagined to wake up in a yard amongst the dead.

Authors Note: Hello there! So this is my first story on Wattpad. Forgive me for its shortness. I'll try to make the next few chapters long, just stick with me:) Thankyou for reading!

-Cover by EmoEcho