Chapter Ten:

Mom was pouring plastic bags of candy into colorful Halloween-themed bowls, her traditional Hera costume already on. Her long brown hair was curled and pinned beautifully at the back of her head, curly ringlets cascading down her back and over her shoulders.

Without announcing I had made it home—Mom had signed me out early for my hair—I watched as Mom ripped open a bite-sized Snickers and popped it in her mouth, chewing happily. Humming to herself, she turned and reached for another bag of candy when she finally noticed her Smurf daughter standing in the doorway watching her.

Embarrassed, she swallowed hastily and, licking a bit of chocolate from the corner of her mouth, she smiled, sporting a smear of chocolate on her front two teeth. I chuckle and point to my mouth, and Mom turned red, her tongue working to get rid of the chocolate.

"How was school?" she asked when the chocolate was gone.

I shrugged and walked over to the counter, swirling a hand in the candy bowl, pulling out a tiny Heath Bar. Opening the wrapper, I popped the candy in my mouth and crunched down. Speaking around my candy, I said, "It was okay. I got a few compliments on my costume. Tate and I went to IHOP..." I shrugged, trailing off. Mom raised an eyebrow.

"Isn't Tate in the same class as you?"

I shook my head. "No. He's a senior. He graduates next spring." Something tightened in my stomach and I grimaced, swallowing my bite. Mom nodded, scratching at one of the many golden bangles around her left bicep. Her gladiator-sandal-clad feet tapped lightly as she made her way over to me, two bags of candy in her hands.

Slowly, she held out a bag to me. A smile warped her mouth. Smiling as well, I took the bag and ripped open the top, pulling an empty bowl over to me, upending the candy into the bowl.

Mom opened her mouth to say something, but in the same moment, the doorbell rang and we both sighed. I crumbled the empty plastic bag, threw it away, and made my way to the front door.

Outside, Tate and Adi stood on the threshold, Tate's arm wrapped around his little sister's shoulders protectively. I smiled when I saw them. Tate was still in his costume from earlier today.

"Hi, Adi," I said as I ushered them inside, closing the door behind them. Tate casually made his way into the kitchen, leaving Adi with me.

She seemed uncomfortable, itching her forearms and nervously smoothing her creaseless skirt. Her brown hair cascaded down her back, unhindered by a ribbon or tie. She was wearing a knee-length floral dress, blue flowers against a white background. Her feet were clad in white flats. Tate and Mom were talking about Halloween plans and candy and me, and Adi looked over her shoulder at me.

Her brown eyes raked up and down my body, taking in my day costume. A small smile graced her lips.

"Pretty girl," she whispered. Then all in a rush, she blurted out, "I want to be a pretty girl!" Her sudden outburst made me jump.

"What?" I asked.

Adelaide frowned, her arms going to wrap around herself. Tate and Mom had gone quiet, now both standing within earshot. I tilted my head at Tate's little sister, "Adi, what do you mean?"

She was red with embarrassment. "I want to be a pretty girl. Mother won't let me be a pretty girl. I want to be a pretty girl like you." I felt blood rush into my face, her statement warming my heart and terrifying me at the same time. I took a step back and Tate took that as his moment to step in, clearing his throat, walking over to his sister.

I could hear him muttering to her, Adi being silent back at him. Mom came over to me, laying a hand on my shoulder. "Penny?" she asked.

"I'm okay, Mom," I told her, moving over to Adi and Tate, smiling at Adi. She wouldn't meet my eyes.