Chapter Eight

Edward sat at his desk, drowning in papers, notes, and sums. Lingering at the back of the room, Catherine delayed in interrupting his important work with what was in essence a silly request. A frown marred his usual smiling face and he ran his hands through his hair. He glanced up at her and the disgruntled look melted away as he beamed instead.

"Catherine! Now this is a pleasant surprise." He jumped up and rushed over to her.

Wringing her hands, she studied the floor. "I'm sorry to interrupt. I can come back later." As she turned to leave, he grabbed her by the wrist to stop her. On impulse she yanked her hand away, as more a defense than any repulsion from her husband. His hand dropped to his side as he struggled to disguise the hurt. They had done so well the night before. They had acted like a pair of young lovers, as a young married couple should act. But the previous night had been like a fairy tale and her old insecurities wrapped her up and kept Edward at arms distance.

"I welcome a distraction. How can I be of service, my lady?" He gave her a crooked grin and she blushed.

"I am going into town to pick stationary for the invitation to the ball. I thought you might want to join me."

"How could I miss a chance to spend time with you? These numbers are not going anywhere." He motioned backwards to his desk. "Let me just ring for my coat and we can head out."

It felt so daring to ask Edward to abandon his work for something so foolish as a walk. But ever since the dinner party, she had been thinking that she would like to get to know her husband better. That night had proved that a great intimacy could tame her fears and help her open up to him. Isobel was right; Edward's past was behind him, as was her own. She need not concern herself with memories that brought her shame, and any reemergence of them was just coincidence. She had won Edward's heart, and she must look forward to their future. She could overcome her fears with Edward by her side, just as he had guided her through that awkward social situation the night before.

For his sake, she attempted small talk as they waited for Mr. Griffin to answer the summons: asking about his work. He radiated pride as he explained the lands and tenants, and the problems with wild dogs that killed half of the pigs he had recently invested in.

"The beasts have cost me a pretty penny," he finished with a sigh and rubbed his hand across his face. The beds of his nails were caked and stained with dirt, which was unusual for a gentleman of his station. He must have been out with the farmers early that morning, and seeing how passionate he was about his estate, she knew he would not be afraid of getting his hands dirty. It was an endearing side of Edward that she had not glimpsed before.

The door to the study opened and instead of Mr. Griffin as expected, Edward's Steward Mr. Wolfe burst into the rooms looking disturbed. His eyes were wide and terrified.

"Mr. Wolfe, what is it? You look as if you've seen a ghost."

He rushed over to Edward, overlooking Catherine as if she was not there at all. His was face pale.

"What's left of the pigs are dead, and Mr. Shoat is missing. I went to his cottage to see—" his eyes fell on Catherine and he halted his speech as if he feared giving offense.

Edward sighed. "I am sorry, Catherine. I must see to this."

"I understand. We can walk together another time."

Edward gave her a tired smile and leaned in to give her a kiss on the forehead but at the last moment, hesitated and bowed to her instead. Fearing she would make the awkward display worse by lingering, Catherine hurried out of the room. Alone in the hall, she berated herself. I should have let him kiss me, even in front of Mr. Wolfe. That's what husband and wife do. She swore to herself to do better next time.