Chapter Seven

Nervousness and excitement churned in her stomach. Edward was all smiles and more than happy to fill in the silence with small talk. Nothing was required from Catherine other than a nod or a single syllable answer. By some miracle the tea at Lydia's had been changed to a dinner party, which meant Edward could join her for the evening as her shield and as her guide, not that she had told him as much. She wanted to keep up the appearance of being a confident lady, even if she was failing miserably at it. Isobel did her best to teach her, but despite her instruction it could not cure Catherine of her crippling shyness. Social gatherings made her nauseous and she feared making a fool of herself. The dinner she had attended where she met Edward had been the result of much coercion from her parents. They feared their daughter would end up a spinster and a burden upon them. Now she was married, but felt no more equipped for the world outside than she did before.

The carriage came to a clattering stop outside the Lydia's home. It was a modest sized house with a garden out from and a rolling lawn on each side. The windows cast yellow light onto the grass. Silhouettes of a half a dozen guests could be seen moving from room to room. Despite Lydia's assurance that it would be a small gathering, it appeared the entire neighborhood had turned out for the affair.

"That's just like Lydia to invite too many people." Edward shook his head before turning to Catherine with a smile. He folded her hand into the bend of his arm, and she leaned upon him for support. If Edward were not there to lean upon, she would have been surely glued to the spot. She tried to pin a smile in place but it felt too forced.

The butler showed them into the parlor where the other guests mingled. There were a few familiar faces among the crowd. Edward's aunt, Isobel, waved them over as they entered. A genuine smile bloomed on Catherine's features and she breathed a small sigh of relief. At least there was someone here who understood her fear of strangers. Isobel sat in the center of the room, like a queen among her court. Since their mother died, Isobel had doted on her nieces and nephew. Lydia indulged Isobel by giving her an honored place among her guests. But the center of the attention was the last place Catherine wanted to be. Edward made his way directly over to his aunt, while Catherine clung to him like a life preserver. The guests turned to greet them, their voices washing over her in a wave of empty pleasantries. Some of them she had met briefly at Edward's dinner party, others were new. With strangers on all sides, her throat clenched, her tongue was dry, and her stomach churned.

Isobel stood as they approached and took Catherine's hand in a warm embrace. She leaned in to kiss her cheeks and whispered in her ear, "Take a deep breath. I will shield you from them."

Catherine exhaled, and gave the older woman a grateful smile.

"Darling, I am going to say hello to a few friends, will you join me?" Edward asked, oblivious to her fears.

"Edward, don't be greedy. Let me sit with your wife before dinner." Isobel chastised.

As if to make her point, she motioned for Catherine to sit in the empty chair beside her. Edward shook his head, knowing he could not deny his aunt her indulgences. Catherine took her place at Isobel's right hand. As guests wandered over to make their introductions, Catherine was spared from trying to make small talk. Isobel took the lead and nothing more was required of Catherine other than a polite hello.

During a lull of conversation, a new trio arrived. Edward had rejoined them and was checking to make sure Catherine was comfortable when Lydia, across the room, laughed. Catherine looked up in time to see the Mr. And Mrs. Ashton with a young companion. The young lady was clearly their daughter, with golden curls and the same blue eyes as her mother.

Lydia's joyful face turned in Catherine's direction who blushed. Several gazes followed the Ashtons. Conversations died away as the Ashtons made their way to greet their hostess. Edward, next to Catherine, had been in animated conversation with Reverend Alder. His voice carried over the party, and Mary Ashton looked in his direction. Their eyes met for a moment and Edward lost his train of thought. Catherine stood up and walked out of the room, unable to withstand the embarrassment. Edward followed after her.