Chapter 148

"Mother, you promised that you would take care of her! Why is she looking like she has more colour in her cheeks then when she arrived here?"

The young nurse pouted and folded her arms in indignation. She was newly recruited in her mother's hospital. Well it isn't her mother's really but she has been working there for over twenty years and had helped her join the ranks.

"I told you to keep your voice down! What you ask of me is unethical! That girl in there has her own story and you don't even know what it is. How do you know what that Michael fellow told you is even true? He looks like a shady sort of character and something just doesn't quite add up."

"Urgh! How can you say such things?! She is obviously a nobody and noone has come to look for her, so she won't be missed. Please mummy! I want him and she is the only thing that stands between us! I love him! I am going to marry him and have his children. We spoke about it.."

The mother broke in, "And when was the last time you saw him?"

She cringed away from her mother's raised eyebrow.

"He's busy. We speak all the time."

"Oh? When did you last speak to him?"

"Uummm... Three days ago."

"Ah-ha and this is the man that loves you and wants you to be his wife?"

"Well... I mean. I.."

She sat on the empty bed and burst into tears.

"I think you need to hear the girl's story first before you decide you want to dispose of her. Ok?"

Nodding glumly, she looked through tear-soaked eyelashes and jumped up to give her mother a hug.

"I love you mum. I am so glad you are here. Promise me though that you will help me snare Michael and marry him! Please!"

"If your heart is set on it, so be it. Only after you have heard the girl's story. Ok?"

"Agreed!"