Chapter 3

A week had passed since Tristan had joined our little group of misfit chefs, and it seemed that he was fitting in quite well. He did what he was told, but also took the initiative if need be. This made my father extremely pleased. He even went as far as to complement Tristan once in a while, a rarity in this kitchen. Usually you had to work for my father for at least a few years before you got this kind of attention. I really hope Tristan keeps it up, because as great as it feels to be "The Boss's" top dog, it is a hell of a blow to be the one to let him down. It's a getting fired and never to work in this town kind of blow. Well so far so good.

Lunch time was one of the busiest times at Savannah's, which meant that everyone had to be on their toes and be quick about it. Today was my turn to man the grill and pans and Tristan was to be my second. As the orders started to roll in fast, the heat was on. It was times like these I felt completely in my element. I was in the zone. As I closed my eyes, taking one last breath, I let the adrenalin rush over me. I heard Clair over the plating table.

"Sav, you ready to kick some ass?" A smile plastered across her face.

"Baby girl, you know I am!" With that I took the first ticket and yelled out, "Starters, two lobster soups, one French onion and three bruschetta."

As I looked over at my team, they all yelled in unison, "Chef, yes chef," and I smiled.

The orders started flying out of the kitchen just as fast as they were coming in. Like a well-choreographed dance, my team and I fluidly moved around each other. More surprisingly, Tristan and I had our own sequenced dance. It seemed as if we had always worked together. Our movements were in sync and never once did we bump into each other. Though on the occasions when we did brush up against one another, the electricity would spike between us and for those fleeting seconds, there was no one else around but the two of us. My breath would catch in my throat and my heart would skip a beat. As quickly as that feeling came, it was gone just as fast. But boy did I cherish those moments.

As the orders started to slow down, I handed over the reins to Leo, "The Grill master", as we called him. There was nothing that he couldn't grill to perfection. With ease, Leo took over my station and started doing his thing. I on the other hand was hot and in great need of a trip to the walk-in cooler. As I stepped in, I relished to coolness washing over my overheated body. I could almost hear the sizzle as I stood there.

"Need something?" I didn't have to turn around to know who was standing behind me. I could feel the heat emanating from his body and I could smell his manly scent permeating through the cold air. For a split second my mind shut down, I couldn't think. As it started up again, I knew I didn't want this moment to end, at least not yet. So I did the only thing I could think of, I lied.

"Yeah, seeing that I am slightly height challenged, could you reach up and get me the umm..." Think. Think...Think "Umm... the eggs, yes the eggs. I wanted to get started on the Crème brûlée for tonight." That sounded plausible, right?

"Are you sure Savannah, you seem a little unsure of yourself." Tristan raised an eyebrow disbelieving me. I could feel my cheeks starting to heat up despite the coldness of the cooler.

"Of course I'm sure. What do you take me for?" Okay, that was a little uncalled for; but in my defense I was flustered at how close Tristan stood to me and I couldn't think straight.

"Okay okay!" he said, raising his hands up in defense. Taking another step closer to me, he reached up over my head to get the eggs. All I could see in front of me was his muscular chest. Without thinking I shakily raised my hand and placed it softly on top of his shirt. I could feel the hardness beneath it. The thought of putting my hands all over his bare skin sent shivers down my spine, good ones that is. Excitement slowly making its way through me, making me a little light headed. Breathe, Savannah, I told myself.