Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Annabelle

          My bags were packed. I didn’t have a lot to pack, because I didn’t know how long I was going to be staying. I didn’t think that I was prepared to go back to her permanently, but I just couldn’t stay here.

          I heard the friendly chatter between my mom and my uncle downstairs. She was waiting for me. This was the last chance that I would have to change my mind and stay.

          “Are you ready Annabelle?” my mother’s voice chirped from downstairs.

          No, I felt like replying, but instead I grabbed my bag and walked down the stairs. My mother’s face was gleaming with joy of finally seeing me again, but the feelings weren’t mutual. I had no choice but to go back to the mother who had abandoned me. She didn’t think I could handle the ridicule from the whole school; the constant reminder that most people didn’t understand. The world was all sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows, for them, while for me it was the reminder that my perfect little high school life was crumbling at my feet.

          “I’m going to miss you, kid.” My uncle gave me a strong hug. I had been his child for the time that I spent here, and even though I never really saw him, I really was going to miss him.

          “I’m going to miss you too.” That was the first truthful thing that I had said since I had in a long time.

          “Have a safe trip with your mom. I’m sure you two will get the bonding time that you haven’t had. Come back and visit, ok?” My mom was already out the door, carrying my stuff. She wasn’t one to linger in one place and chat for a while.

          “I will,” I said quietly, afraid that if I spoke up, all of my true feelings would be released. “Can you keep an eye on Ryan for me?” Tears had already started to linger in my eyes at the thought of him. It was like my heart was being ripped out and stabbed thousands of times. I had only wished I was that lucky, to be put out of my misery. Instead, there was the constant pain in my chest after every breath.

          He nodded his head and stood in the door way as we walked to the car. My mom had already had everything ready to go, so she ushered me in the car. It wasn’t like we were going far, but she was anxious for the car ride.

          “Bye!” my mother screamed out the window, offering a small wave then switching her focus back to driving.

          I hadn’t stayed with my uncle for very long, but I could see the sorrow in his eyes. But I had seen the sincerity in his eyes and heard it in his voice when he said that he would look after Ryan for me. That was a small weight lifted off of my chest. It worried me to think about how much trouble Ryan would be getting himself into.

          “For not seeing your mother for a couple of months, you are really quiet.” She teased me, but I found it too hard to laugh—too hard to even smile. “Oh sweetheart, you are coming back home with you mom! Isn’t this what you wanted?”