Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Annabelle

          “Annabelle, you are going to be late!” My uncle yelled up to me. Panicking, I put on the first pair of clothes that I could find and rushed downstairs to eat breakfast.

          “Late for what?” I asked, stopping now to looking at the clock and see that I still had a half an hour to get ready.

          “Come on, I’ll show you,” my uncle said as he started walking towards the front door.

          When we got outside, there was a royal blue punch bug sitting in the drive way. To be honest, I was a little surprised. Why did I need to see this car?

          “It’s for you,” he said, tossing me the keys. “I know it’s kind of bad timing and all with what happened yesterday evening, but welcome!” He said, a goofy smile on his face.

          “Thank you!” I jumped in the car and put the keys in, letting it run for a few seconds before shifting it in gear.

          “Annabelle,” he called out as he approached the car. I rolled my window down, hoping that this would be quick. “About last night—”

          “Uncle, do we really have to talk about this?” I whined. All I wanted to do was drive my new car to school and brag too Linzie.

          He pursed his lips, stroking his mustache with his fingers. “Annabelle, I’m doing this to protect you. Those drugs, they weren’t yours, they were his, but you wouldn’t admit that to me. Do you see what he is already doing to you?” He took a few deep breathes before continuing. “He does drugs, Annabelle. Do you really want to be hanging around that? He’s not good for you.”

          I couldn’t even make eye contact with him right now. His eyes were just so full of hatred. “And don’t give me any of that stupid ‘I love him’ shit. I don’t buy it. You’re here because—”

          “Uncle I know why I’m here. And I know that what I feel with him, is much better than what feel without him. He makes me feel better! I don’t have to do drugs and be like him to have feelings for him. He’s not a bad person, he’s just stuck in a bad situation! But all you cops don’t get that because it’s your job to clean up the streets and make sure everyone is safe. Well what about him? He’s the one that gets the shaft, Uncle! Ryan got stuck with a tough life! Who are you to say that he isn’t good for me? He’s not a bad person, Uncle.”

          I got out of the car, making it a point to slam the door behind me. “You can keep your car,” I said, “I don’t need it.” All I could do was shake my head. I had expected so much more of my Uncle. Of all of the people that I would have thought of that would make me cry, my uncle surely wasn’t one of them.

          “Where do you think you’re going?” He asked me as I started walked down the driveway.

          “To school, Uncle. You’re a cop, I thought you would have known it’s the law.” I replied back carelessly.

          “You’re going to be late!” He yelled to me, trying to get me to stop. He was right, I was going to be late, but now, I gave up caring. I was shutting myself off. Giving up at life was easier than trying and getting hurt repeatedly. People started to expect less of you. Everything just slowly starts to fall apart…

          How could he? How could he do that to me? The questions bothered me, breaking me out of my train of thought. I was probably half way to school now; I was just going to make it on time.