Dix-Huit

Even though he and Ondine were estranged for a moment, he never stopped communicating with her. In fairness to Ondine, after a few days of silence, she did start replying to Jared's texts and calls. They haven't talked about their scare yet, both just skirting around the issue, especially since they had just gotten back into good terms again. She set her phone on her piano with the screen facing her while she played a Beethoven tune for Jared. He missed moments like that, when she would play for him just as he laid in bed ready to fall asleep. After she finished and closed the lid of her piano, he took a chance and broached the subject they haven't talked about.

"Ames, babe, I wish I was there with you through the fear."

Ondine let out an audible sigh. "Jay."

"I'm serious. You weren't the only one affected. I was affected, too. I was worried about you, first and foremost. The moment I saw your face, I wanted to fly over there and wrap you up in my arms. Babe, I was so scared that something bad had happened to you."

"Babe, I was scared to death. For me, for you...I knew neither of us were ready, but I was terrified of what your reaction might be."

"And your fears were validated," Jared hung his head in shame. "Ames, I love you; had you been pregnant, I wouldn't have ran from my responsibilities."

"Had I been pregnant, it would have torn us apart. We were so immature about the whole thing, Jay. We acted like this wasn't a possibility, like we were immuned even though we slept together all the time. We just wanted to have our cake and eat it, too."

"Babe, we're gonna be okay, right?"

"I hope so."

"You don't know how guilty I feel for not being there for you."

"That's okay. Brady was here to help me."

Jared grew quiet, just looked at Ondine's face on his screen. "That's another thing: he's there, I'm not."

"Please, Jay, he has nothing to do with whatever problems we're facing right now."

"Ames, I'm trying to fix our relationship, but you're being so stubborn right now. I want to come see you. I want to see for myself that you're okay."

"Babe, I'm okay. We'll talk when I get home. Four more weeks...we can survive four weeks. And I'm not being stubborn. I'm just trying to be sure...sure that we're gonna be okay, that we're not just compatible in bed, but in other aspects of our lives as well," Ondine said quietly. "We'll definitely have to sit down and have a long conversation when I get home."

"I love you," he said. He couldn't argue with what she said.

"I love you, too. Okay, you go to sleep now. I know you have an early day at the studio tomorrow."

"Have a good day, babe. Take care of yourself for me, okay?"

"Okay," she smiled at him, her toothy grin that somehow made him feel at ease that slowly he was getting his Ondine back.

It had been tough, but they were muddling through. As long as Ondine was willing to communicate with him, he believed that they can get over this hurdle placed in front of them. He was 22; the only forever he's thought of in his life was that he would be a successful and world famous drummer with his band forever. But now, that seemed so trivial; what did success forever mean if he didn't have the most important person in his life to share it with?

***

Brady, Ondine, and some of their other close friends in the orchestra decided to throw a party at Brady's apartment to celebrate the successful six month run of playing Beethoven's symphonies. It was late, planning their impromptu party after the final curtain, where they all received a final standing ovation from the crowd. They were still in the clothes they wore to work, the men taking off their bowties and coats, while the ladies removed their high heels. Brady had ordered a few pizzas, and he and Ondine picked up a few beers and wines from the liquor store they passed by on the way to work. The others offered to bring some chips and desserts. Brady played whatever the Top 40 station was playing, not caring to hear another note from the master Beethoven for the time being.