CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER 1

I held onto my mother's hand as she lay silent in her hospital bed, my father doing the same as me. The life that used to be in her eyes had faded and became emotionless. I guessed that scared me the most, she had no feeling anymore; they doped her up enough to that point where she was lifeless. That is what the "C" word does to people, yes I am talking about Cancer.

Cancer had taken over my mom's life almost three years ago, more specifically Breast Cancer had taken over her life. She was only forty three when she was diagnosed, she was so young and afraid. Now she was coming up to her forty sixth birthday if she made it that long which I doubt she would. Her pulse was slowing down and her eyes slowly closed.

I looked over to my dad and he had a blank expression on his face, they just celebrated twenty three years of marriage. They were married three years before they had me and they only had me. Twenty years I have looked up to this woman who lay right before my eyes, twenty years that are going to end too quickly.

The doctors and nurses didn't even bother to come in anymore knowing that she was just another victim of Cancer; they wanted the family to spend her last moments with her. I really respected them for that. I'd just wish it didn't have to end like this, we used to be the perfect family not a silent family that sat around a hospital bed.

I looked down at my mom for the last time when her pulse stopped and she had officially died. We said our goodbyes earlier today when she had the slightest bit of energy. The doctors and nurses came in with sadden faces, I wiped tears from my eyes and looked over at my dad. He was doing the same, we both let go of her hands and walked out of the room.

Making our way down to the main lobby and to the parking garage. We found my dad's old Ford and left the hospital not saying a word to each other. Neither of us dared to say anything, we probably couldn't if we tried; knowing that we both would break down and cry. Our whole world had passed away and there was nothing we could do about it.

We finally arrived at our home, I saw my mom's old car and all her flowers she worked so hard on. We walked into the house, it smelt bland like no one has lived here in years. Usually it smelt like home cooking or her sweet perfume. I walked through the house, trying to see if there was a trace of perfume anywhere, sadly there was none.

"Jacey could you come here?" My father said very lightly.

"Yeah just give me a second." I responded with weakness in my voice.Walking through the house to see my father at the kitchen table his hands on his head.

"What do you need dad?"

I asked, he looked up and patted the seat next to him, I made my way to the chair.

"Jacey we need to think about what to do next. We need to move out of here and you might need to take a break from university."

"Are we that in debt with the bills?" 

Tears threaten to pour out.

"Unfortunately we are sweetie, you know we tried to pay off as we went but all of it has caught up with us."

I nodded sadly. "I could get a job to help, I mean there has to be a good job out there." "I don't want you becoming a prostitute or stripper." I laughed and so did he.

"I promise dad I will never sell my body to the night." "Good, your mom needs to be proud of her beautiful daughter.""I'll make her proud even if it takes sometime, I mean what is the chance I found the perfect job right now?"

"You never know, and it may not be the job you take but the people you meet."

That really sunk in for me, I mean it was just so wise sounding.

"Now you little lady need to go and get some rest, you have had a tough day. Not to mention a tough three years." I smiled and kiss my dad's cheek.

"Love you dad see you in the morning."

"Love you too Jacey."

I walked up to my room and slid on some shorts and a tee shirt. It still hadn't quite hit me that I was without a mother or that my whole life had changed on this dreary night. Things moved to fast to take in, not only for me but for my dad. I lay there for a few minutes until I fell asleep with a million thoughts running through my mind.