Chapter Thirteen

Theodore combed his blonde hair to the side, his thoughts jumping everywhere. He set down the comb, staring at his strong fingers. He had tried calming himself about Millicent's decision but it still made him aggravated. He said he would wait for her. That he could wait. To be honest, he wanted her now. He felt like a foolish child again, impatient to eat the cookies his mother had prepared. He had to respect her decision, though. Millicent had been through a lot in the past couple of months, and he needed to remember that.

Theodore adjusted his bow tie on last time before leaving his room to go and great the guests. Women and their escorts were already coming through the doors, filling up the ballroom. He hurried down the stairs to stand at his father's side. He nodded to each lady, placing a kiss on their hand. As he bent down to kiss another lady's hand, he heard her gasp, "Oh, what a lovely gown!"

He looked up in confusion only to realize she was looking over his shoulder. Theodore turned around and stunned by the sight of Millicent in her sapphire blue gown. Her brown curls twisted up into an elaborate up do, flowers strewn throughout. He walked over in a daze to the base of the stairs. Millicent gave him a weak smile and made her way down to him, careful not to tear or ruin the beautiful fabric. He hesitated before lifting her hand and placing a kiss on it.

"The most beautiful lady at the ball has arrived." Theodore smiled at her and placed her hand over his arm. "May I be your escort, Miss Millicent?"

"You may." Millicent nodded to him.

She looked genuinely happy to be here. Theodore had known she had been looking forward to the ball all week. But never would he have imagined this. This was a new side to Millicent he had never seen. He wished he could bring this part of her out more often and heal the scars on her heart. He wanted to do that for her, because he loved her. He loved his housemaid.

"May we go?"

Theodore shook himself from his thoughts. "Of course." Millicent followed him into the ball room, and he could feel her hand shaking. He squeezed it in reassurance. "I promise not to leave your side longer than I have to."

"Okay." Her voice sounded so small and unsure.

To make her feel better, he pointed out Mr. Evans and Annabelle for her. "Just in case you feel lonely. Now you know where they are."

Before Millicent had the chance to say anything, an older man came forth with his daughter on his arm. "You must be Mr. Theodore Ashton. I am Mr. James Johnstown and this is my daughter, Miss Angelia Johnstown."

"How do you do?" Angelia curtsied to him, her mass of blonde curls bouncing with her every movement.

"I am well, thank you." Theodore shook hands with her father. "This is Miss Millicent Thorne. We have just become acquainted with each other."

"It is lovely to meet you Mister and Miss Johnstown." Millicent nodded her head to them, going with his lie.

"My daughter was wishing to have the first dance with you, Mr. Ashton. If that is alright."

"Of course." He released Millicent's arm to accept the other girl. He flashed a reassuring smile at Millicent before he left her.

Angelia pulled herself close to him as they dance, making him feel uncomfortable. He had to do this, so that his father would be happy. Theodore put a little bit of room between them. "So...I hear your father is successful. What business is he in?"

"Oh...I don't know." Angelia fingered his jacket carelessly.

Alright, so she was an airhead. This could led to some interesting conversations.  

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved