Chapter Eleven

Millicent pulled her hand away from Theodore, shaking her head. "No."

Disappointed filled his eyes. "Was I mistaken that perhaps you had feelings for me?"

The words got caught in her throat like sticky maple syrup. There was no way that this was happening again. She remembered the first time Andrew had acted like he could never hurt her. He had been so perfect at first. When Theodore reached over to stroke her cheek, she flinched, ducking away from him. All she could remember were Andrews hands hitting her. A tear slipped down her cheek and she buried her face in her hands. She found herself cowering away from the man she had somehow managed to fall in love with.

"Millie...what did I do?" She could hear the concern and compassion in his voice and it tore her heart to pieces. If she wasn't sitting up in a tree, Millicent was sure she would have run off by now.

"Stop it, Theodore." Millicent wiped her face, trying to keep her composure. "I can't ever marry you, okay?"

"Fine, but I want a reason. I'm not letting you off that easy." Theodore pulled away from her, making her feel cold.

Millicent stared at the tree branches above her, recognizing the position she had just put herself in. Nobody knew of this except her father, and she had wished to keep it that way. She knew that Theodore wouldn't help her get down from the tree if she didn't tell him, though. "Before I came here to work as a housemaid...I was engaged to marry to a Duke. It was an arranged marriage, of course. My father was going bankrupt and he needed a way to get more money. It was the best option for us. I would marry a rich Duke and he would get his stupid money..."

Millicent couldn't stop the tears from rolling down her face. The memories that were flashing back were too painful. She took a shaky breath and continued with her story. "Andrew, the Duke I was to marry, he was so kind to me. He bought me nice little things and we went out on a picnic once or twice. We would marry in about three months, and I didn't think it would be so horrible being with that man. We got into an argument one day. Something about whether I would be wearing his mother's dress or my mother's for the wedding. That was the first time he had ever hit me. I kept telling myself that it was my fault. Of course, we moved past that argument and settled on the idea I would have my own dress made. I thought it would be okay after that...."

Theodore reached out and placed his hand on her cheeks, wiping the tears away with his thumb. "Millicent...I would never hurt you like that."

"But how do I know? How can I trust anyone like that ever again?" Millicent was sobbing at this point. She shook her head. "I can't keep giving you false hopes."

Theodore wrapped his arms around her. "I can wait for you, love. Even if it takes years and years for you to trust me."

Millicent buried her head into his shoulders, trying to calm her emotions. She clutched Theodore's shirt. "I was so afraid. He threatened me so many times. He said that he would tell lies about me...ones so horrible I can't even repeat them. And it terrified me."

"And now you're here. Millicent, you have to realize that he can't hurt you anymore. You have to stop being afraid of that man and move on so you can start a new life." He lifted her tear stained, red face and smiled. "I'm hoping that new life can be with me."

Millicent hesitated before nodding. "I want it to be with you, too."

Theodore looked into her eyes, leaning towards her as he waited for her consent. She nodded, letting him capture her lips with his. She melted into him, not realizing how wonderful he could taste. Not knowing how wonderful it could feel to be cherished instead of punished. And it was amazing. Millicent felt him deepened their kiss, but she couldn't let it go that far. It wasn't proper to be here in the first place. She pulled away, trying not to let herself get pulled under the waves of emotion rolling over her. Theodore smiled against her lips and chuckled. "Is that a yes, then?"

"That's a yes, Mr. Theodore Ashton."

He stared into her eyes for a long time. "We should probably head back to the mansion."

"Yeah, probably."

But they didn't move from their spot on the tree.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved