Chapter Seven

A few weeks later, Millicent was starting to learn the ropes of her job. She was one of the best housemaids there, at least, that's what Mr. Elliot Ashton was always telling her. It made her feel appreciated for once, like she could actually do something with her life. Of course, getting the letter from her father ruined everything for her. The promises inside of it made her want to cower in fear and burn the words away on the letter. Millicent worried her lower lip by rubbing her knuckles across it as she read the letter.

My Dearest Millicent,

I have great news for you! I received a letter from Mr. Theodore Ashton stating that you have been invited to a ball. I know what you think about this whole marriage affair, but I was hoping you would give it another chance. I have enclosed the invitation inside of the envelope. Please consider this, Millicent. It might be your only chance for a good future.

Love,

Your Father

Millicent crumpled the letter up in her hand, anger rising in her chest. She didn't need to meet any other men. She could be content as a housemaid, right? Millicent glanced at the letter again, her eye catching the edge of a name. Her breath caught in her throat. She had been so angry about the letter, she hadn't even seen the name, but there it was, glaring up at her. Mr. Theodore Ashton. Millicent stared down at the name in confusion. Why was she being invited to a ball her employer was holding?

And so a couple of minutes later, Millicent found herself standing angrily in his office. She tapped her foot, shoving the note in his face. Millicent crossed her arms and huffed. "And what exactly is this? Is this some sort of sick joke?!"

Mr. Ashton glanced casually at the letter and invitation. He set them both on his desk, "No, it is simply an invitation, which you are welcome to decline."

"How much do you know?! Did you think this would be funny?!"

"Your father sent me a letter, requesting that I meet you as a possible suitor. That is all."

"Oh so you are all in on this now, is that it?!" Millicent felt her chest tighten. She felt disgusted by this man. He had to have known about Andrew and now he was...

"Millicent." She froze when she realized he had crossed the room, grabbing her shoulders. Millicent felt her face grow hot. She had been ranting, hadn't she? That mouth of hers always got her in trouble. He sighed releasing her. "I'm sorry for sending the invitation. I didn't realize you were so sensitive about it."

"Well, I..." Millicent clutched her skirt. "But you do know, right?"

Mr. Ashton laughed, shaking his head. "I have no clue on what you are talking about."

"Oh." Millicent felt her words get choked up in her throat. She swallowed the lump in her throat so she could speak. "Why would my father send you a letter, Mr. Ashton?"

Mr. Ashton took a seat, gesturing for her to do the same. "Please, just Theodore. I believe we are way past the stage where formalities are required." Millicent took her seat, feeling his blue eyes judging her every move, her every word. "I believe one of two things. He either knew you were working here and wished to make our chances of meeting simpler. That or he had no clue and it was an honest mistake."

"Which one do you believe it to be?"

"The first most definitely."

Millicent groaned, covering her face with her hands. "This is quite embarrassing."

"Oh? Then we think differently on the matter. I find it to be quite humorous."

Millicent looked up at his smiling face. He had a mischievous twinkle in his eye. Millicent took a deep breath, trying to clear her thoughts. "I...so what will I do about this?"

"That is your decision to make. I hear the ball will be quite grand."

Now he was just poking fun at her. Millicent smiled, turning his plans back on him. He would be sorry she was ever invited. "I accept your invitation, then."

"Very well, Millicent. You will be added to the list."

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved