10| Suspicious Business

"The original bad boy isn't dependable in the time of need."

10| Suspicious Business

As much I try to forget about him, my thoughts still hover back to Arsen.

The police took him away that night and the court gave his custody to his aunt and uncle. Not even a week with his new guardians, and his aunt divorced his old uncle. News broke thereafter that Arsen's uncle was a drunkard and stayed home unemployed the entire time, surviving off food stamps and unemployment checks. Observing my ex-best friend, he probably fell into the wrong crowd during that time.

He never allowed me to explain my side of the story.

Pushing aside such meaning thoughts, I run up the front steps of the public library and enter disturbed. The stupid rain soaked most of my hair and it's going to turn into a frizzy mess soon.

The struggle.

Sighing, I hop in front of a computer and log in using my library card code and password. This location seems like the only place I can get full privacy. I need to locate the whereabouts of that Skylar woman. Her lover or whatever left me an important message to deliver. Fulfilling someone's last wish is crucial in order to avoid ghosts haunting me.

I check through many social media sites and find thousands of people under the name Skylar Johnson.

Now what?

I wish I had contacts with Tom Cruise to help me out with this mission impossible.

"Val?"

Someone plops down in the seat next to mine. I turn in surprise at the familiar face, but today wearing a lip ring.

"Leo?"

"The one and only," he winks. I avoid meeting his eyes, looking back to my screen and closing the tabs quickly, not caring if I forgot to log out. He's one of them. And I didn't like people who killed someone right in front of my very own eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"I can ask you the same thing," I reply.

"Go ahead, ask."

He can't be serious. I sneak a glance at his computer screen and am bummed to find it blank. He hasn't logged in, yet.

"I don't really care why you're here," I shrug, packing my things.

"I can't say the same," he responds slightly serious. "You were looking up someone named Skylar Johnson." Dang it, he saw the name before the tabs shut completely. And people say nobody can beat the speed of light. This guy's eyes can! "Why?"

Because the man you beat up till death asked me to.

I might encounter a similar situation if I acknowledge the truth.

"I--er . . . You know . . . I just clicked on a random profile--wait, do you know her?" Answering back with a question may help me rescue, and maybe aid me in finding a clue. As hoped for, Leo's face hardens and he breaks the gaze.

"I knew some waitress by that name. Someone said she died last year. Whatever."

No guilt or remorse crosses his face.

Instead, Leo logs into the computer and from the corner of my eye, I see him open a page about weird plants. Did this ruthless and heartless member of Arsen squad fancy biology?

How . . . shocking.

He isn't expecting to pass his senior year by skipping school and missing classes regularly, is he?