CHapter 9

The atmosphere in the cab of the truck is thick and tense. We have only been on the road for half an hour but even now the tightly leashed anger is almost palatable. Malcolm sits glaring out the side window while Rosy sits between us, staring out the windscreen ignoring both of us. I had arrived back from my talk with Wade at the main house to find Malcolm and Mitchell close to blows. Malcolm had continuously taunted the younger tom in my absence until Mitchell had been ready to put him in his place. Unfortunately Rosy had decided that since Sam was away she needed to protect Mitchell and she had been furious in her verbal defence of him. What she didn’t think of at the time was her defensive actions made Mitchell appear weak in the eyes of the other toms.

I glance across at Rosy and Malcolm, and then reach down to turn the radio off. I am aware of Malcolm looking my way in the sudden silence that fills the cab. I don’t have to look to know there is a bruise forming at the corner of his mouth where Mitchell hit him when I dragged Rosy out of harm’s way.

"Rosy, ever been down the coast highway before?" I ask. I am not sure who she is mad at - Malcolm for insulting and provoking her brother, or at me for allowing the brief fight. Maybe she is mad at both of us.

"Yes," Rosy’s answer is short and to the point. Obviously she doesn’t want to talk.

"You’ve been to the beach before?" I ask curiously. There is silence except for the steady hum of the engine for several minutes and I am starting to think it will be a long day with Rosy sulking.

"A long time ago," her voice is soft and almost wistful. "Almost another lifetime."

"With Harry Caruthers?" I guess.

I know Rosy very rarely talks about the man that raised her as if she were his own child, until his death. I am not surprised when there is no answer this time and I glance at her when the silence starts to stretch out.

"How’d you like to go onto a beach and not have to worry about watching your back every second?" Malcolm asks. "Maybe Micah will be able to fit a small break in."

"I … no, Wade’ll be wanting you to be getting back," Rosy denies but there is longing in her voice. I move my fingers on the wheel nervously before gripping it tightly; I am surprised at the nervousness welling in my stomach. I swallow hard then let the words out forcing myself to keep my voice even and calm.

"We can take all the time we like. Maybe we could have lunch at one of the beaches, make it our first date," I say lightly and glance at Rosy with a half smile. It isn’t how I hoped or planned to ask her out. Her eyes are narrowed masking her reaction as she looks my way before glancing at Malcolm. He is busy looking out his window, pretending to be paying us no attention, but he is sure to be listening for her reply. I turn my attention back to the road. The longer the silence stretches, the more taunt my nerves become.

"I won’t touch you. I won’t even try to hold your hand if that makes you feel more comfortable," I say quietly.

"I guess I don’t have a choice," Rosy says tightly. "I’m not the one driving."

"We can have lunch in the truck while we travel," I say evenly refusing to let my disappointment and hurt show.

"I’m stuffed from breakfast," Rosy says. "I doubt I’ll be hungry."

"You miss a meal voluntarily?" Malcolm laughs and puts his arm along the back of the seat behind Rosy’s shoulders. "Mitchell too busy nursing his bruises to slip you a few dollars?"

"Malcolm," I growl in warning and grip the wheel tightly.

I feel stupid, I should have realised it was Rosy’s independent streak making her refuse a meal. I have seen Rosy’s hesitancy in accepting anything from any of us, other than her own brothers. I am beginning to think she believed our providing food or clothing for her left her indebted to those providing the items.