Chapter 6

Anger and hurt war for control as I storm from the quarters, slamming the screen door behind me. Their mingled scents and the tantalising smell of Rosy’s arousal burn into my brain making my stomach churn. Had there been signs I had missed? It had been Malcolm who had been quick to follow her, not his brother Chris. Nor had Rosy been teasing or tempting any of the toms that I had seen. But when Malcolm, Timny, Chris and Rosy had returned Chris had been holding her hand. The slight breeze from the window had blown their scents straight to me. My inner cat had screeched his disbelief, and I had fled the room before I lost my head and handed over control to him.

I head for the shed where all the weights and gym equipment are kept. I know in some small corner of my mind that pounding Chris to a bloody pulp is not an option. Every primal feline instinct screams at me to eradicate the male competition but I grit my teeth and keep walking. I need to slam my fists into something, need to vent my fury and hurt. I don’t bother turning on the interior light or opening both lots of large doors to let in the sunlight. I head straight to the largest punching bag and deliver a flurry of blows that has the heavy bag swinging. I grunt as I tuck my chin into my chest and roll my shoulders before delivering two sharp left jabs, then a hard right. The right makes the bag swing wildly and buck in mid air. And it hurt my fist. I ignore the slight metallic squeak as more light begins to fill the shed. I don’t look to see who has joined me. Instead I slam more hard hits into the leathery bag.

"You going to slaughter that bag single-handedly or do you want some help?" Steven asks as he appears on the opposite side of the punching bag. He takes hold of it and steadies it, making it offer more resistance to my blows.

"Pounding Chris into an unrecognisable bloody pulp isn’t an option is it," I say tightly. Even as the words leave my mouth, I feel foolish. I know it’s not Chris’ fault. It’s not even Rosy’s fault that they have become involved.

"I wouldn’t object if you pounded on Edwin some. I’m sure he has done something to deserve a hiding," Steven offers. Even though the idea appeals to me, I know I can’t dish out discipline just because I am upset Rosy became involved with another tom.

"Chris is … too easy going … for Rosy. She’ll end up … walking all … over him … in no time," I say between blows to the punching bag.

"Don’t know for sure, I didn’t take more than one good sniff

– but I don’t think Chris mounted her," Steven says quietly.

I hesitate, missing a blow in the rhythm I had settled into, and the bag hits me in the chest making me step backwards as it swings towards me again. I glance towards Steven slightly startled; I hadn’t thought to smell for any such evidence. Just the tell-tale mingled scents and the sweet smell of female arousal had been enough to send me from the building struggling for control.

"She wasn’t objecting to you flirting with her when Malcolm was treating her feet," Steven points out and I suppress a smile as I remember how fiery Rosy had been.

"She acted more like any young she-kitt just discovering toms are more than just there for protecting them," Steven points out.

"The way she’s quick to lash out and the fact Edwin says she had a real go at Malcolm while they were travelling concerns me," I admit as I step back from the punching bag.

"She’s pretty nervous and I am sure she has every escape route mapped out in her head for whichever room she is in. She did get drugged and locked in a cage last time she was here," Steven reminds me quietly.

"When I’ve cooled my temper off, I’ll have to have a talk with her. Tell Rosy that we won’t force her to stay if she wants to leave. And I think I’ll have a chat about her not shifting, or being in cat form near Jazzy or Donny. She’s too unpredictable," I say with a heavy sigh. I don’t know how Rosy will react to my laying down of some basic rules, but I’m sure it is best if I make it clear what we expect from the start.