Chapter 4

It’s been a long tiring day. The muscles in my upper back and shoulders ache from using a spud bar and shovel to dig holes for the large corner posts on a fence line. I frown as I walk through the quarters towards the bathroom. For the last two months Wade has had me on every hard physical job or demeaning task he could find or invent. For the three weeks prior to that I had been recovering from being whipped. My only comfort was the fact that in those three weeks of recovery time, Wade had taken care not to have Edwin and his team at the compound or in the quarters. That and the fact I wasn’t demoted from my position as chief warrior.

I was surprised when Wade didn’t object to Rosy being allowed to ‘escape’. But he took exception to my statement that it was my decision to make and that the other warriors present at the time were in no way responsible for my decision. The entire truth came out when Wade announced I was to be whipped for deciding Rosy would be allowed to escape without asking his opinion or permission. Surprisingly it was Edwin who stepped forward on my behalf stating that all of the warriors were in on the decision. Steven, Sam and Dwayne confirmed it, as did the others when Wade looked their way.

My whipping consisted of twelve lashes, two lashes for each warrior who had been here. I received the first lash because I lied - each warrior was consulted and encouraged to give their opinion before I made the final decision. The second lash was for trying to take full responsibility and cover for each warrior. I was instructed I was not to change form until my body healed, which meant the pain and stiffness would remain much longer than if I shifted. The day after my flogging Wade visited me in the quarters where I was temporarily laid up. He explained that only an Alpha could assume responsibility for another werecat and protect them from any punishment. As chief warrior I over stepped my bounds and challenged his authority as my Alpha, hence the harsh punishment.

Understanding Wade’s reasons for my punishment erased the resentment I felt at the time of punishment and gave me a clearer understanding of his position over this. I can see how I left him with no other recourse but to set such harsh punishment. I challenged his authority. Yes I’d had the best of intentions at the time, but still the fact remained I challenged the authority of my Alpha. He told me he was aware of the friction between Edwin and me, our subtle struggles for dominance. He didn’t want to demote me and reinstate Edwin as chief warrior as everything was handled much smoother and there were fewer arguments in the ranks while I was in charge.

I am thankful for the support Wade showed me by ensuring Edwin would not be able to challenge me for dominance while I was recovering from the punishment. Knowing he still held my leadership of his warriors in such high respect buoyed my spirits. Wade’s confidence and support mean a lot to me. I want to serve my Alpha and clan to the best of my abilities. Hearing I have his approval and support makes me proud of the quality of work I have performed for them.

I am pulled from my thoughts as I hear Jazzy following me along the sunroom and I glance over my shoulder at her to see a determined look on her face.

"You won’t be long in the shower will you Micah?" Jazzy asks just before I shut the bathroom door, and I turn around to smile at her. She is dressed in slim legged jeans and a tight t-shirt. I realise suddenly how much she has grown up lately.

"You got something special cooking, kitten?" I ask with a fond smile.

"I want to go for a moonlight run and I want my favourite bossy brother there as well," Jazzy says with a wide grin.

"Oh I don’t know," I tease her, "I’m pretty tired. Wade has been working me hard lately."

"I made caramel tarts," Jazzy says with a smile. "And I made an extra one just so you can have one all to yourself."