Chapter 12 - Moral Ambiguity (Elizabeth)

Elizabeth

The sun was blinding as I stumbled across the Miracle Mile, laughter echoing through the air. The trees bordering the dirt track were the brightest of green, the light making strange patterns as it shone through them. The trek from the city was long and tiring, and it was already showing in everyone's actions.

Behind me, Adrian stumbled drunkenly and was sprawled across the dirt, his hair almost camouflaged. Beside him, Cali burst into a round of laughter that caused her to fall after him. Jonathan rolled his eyes, his gait tall and strong in an almost arrogant way. When I sighed and turned to help our clumsy friends, he walked on without as much as a backward glance.

I pulled Cali up from the ground first, stumbling as she fell into me. "Aren't you meant to be one of the invincible one?" I asked her.

She shrugged her slim shoulders, her black locks whipping around her face in the breeze. "Your city boy seems the most invincible right now," she nodded towards Jonathan, "did he even break a sweat on the way here?"

"He's not my city boy." I insisted. "He's just... a boy... from my city. It's not even close to the same thing!"

Cali raised her eyebrows, her blue eyes shining. "He'll be your city boy one day, trust me on this." Before I could respond, she ran off in a fit of giggles after Jonathan.

I shook my head and wandered over to where Adrian was slowly dragging himself from the ground. He had sat up, and was picking gravel from his arms where it had stuck. I offered my hand out to him, a smirk on my face. "You seem to have a thing for getting knocked to the ground lately."

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Frankly, that guy outside the bar deserved that black eye I gave him."

I clucked my tongue. "Yes, but did you deserve the concussion he gave you?"

He sighed, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips. He reached out and took my hand, his skin warm, his grip strong. Soon he was towering over me. He smirked. "Shouldn't you be thanking me for defending your honour?" He asked, leaning close to me.

I found myself leaning towards him before remembering Jonathan and Cali not ten metres up the track, and Chris, who would be waiting for us at the other end of the Miracle Mile. It took all of my free will to step away from him. "If I wanna survive out here, apparently I need to learn how to defend my own." I pointed out.

"You're killing me here, Liz," Adrian muttered in a low voice.

A smile spread across my face. "Then I'll fit right in." I felt his gaze on my back as I ran off towards the others.

As I fell into step beside Cali, my hair trailing behind me in the wind, Jonathan looked down at me – with his height, he was always looking down at everyone – his gaze sceptical. I met his eyes and smiled, but he didn't return it. I shrugged internally. Typical Jonathan; the cool, quiet type.

Cali looked at me and snorted. "Did you just leave Adrian on the ground and run away?" She asked.

"Of course not!" I argued. "I teased him for falling over first."

My best friend burst into a fit of laughter. "I've taught you well."

"Have you guys heard about the Council's plans to seal of the city?" Jonathan asked suddenly, shattering the gleeful mood.

"They wouldn't do it." Adrian muttered, appearing behind me. "It's a violation of your rights. What are they saving themselves from? Us? Because we prefer the country? Because we have different values? We're not a threat to them just because we're different. They need to pull their heads out of their asses already."