Deep Sea Mermaids

Deep-sea mermaids, sometimes known as Open-Ocean mermaids, live in the middle of the ocean and are built for survival and long-distance swimming.

Deep Sea Mermaids are found almost everywhere in the world. They usually dwell deeper down in the water than most other mermaids. They do not come to the surface very often, but when they do, it is mainly to breathe. They live in the open ocean, and prefer temperate water temperatures. Many Open-Ocean mermaids travel in pods and are wanderers who migrate throughout the sea.

Deep-Sea mermaids often have bigger eyes to see well in the dark, webbed hands to swim faster and occasionally have sharper teeth or claws to eat their prey. They generally have paler skin and dark hair and tail colours so they blend in in the deep ocean. Like other marine animals like dolphins and whales, a Deep-Sea mermaid's tail would usually have a type of countershading. Countershading means that the mermaid's tail would be a darker color shade on the top and a paler color shade on the underside. This is used as camouflage, because when you look down at the mermaid from above, they blend in with the dark water, but when you look up at them from the bottom, they blend with the lighter surface of the water. Some tail colors of deep sea mers are dark blues, deep greens or dark purples.

Open-Ocean mermaids can be vegetarians, carnivores, or omnivores. Most deep sea mermaids are carnivorous or omnivorous, but the choice is up to you! Deep-sea mers usually eat whatever they can find, as food can be scarce in the open ocean. They are predators, eating fish, shell fish, sea plants, crabs, lobsters, shrimp and occasionally squid, among other small animals. On land, Open-Ocean mers like any type of seafood like fish or sushi!

QUOTE OF THE DAY!!!