Chapter 3

I’m really good with cars and mechanics because that’s what my dad does for a living.  He owned a shop in Pennsylvania and now he’s opening one here.  I learned everything about cars from him cuz I had the time to when I was younger and I remember going there after school and helping him with the cars.  I wouldn’t just hold the flashlight and hand him tools like other fathers would do with their kids.  I would actually fix things on my own.  Of course he didn’t tell the owners of the cars, and he made sure I knew what I was doing first.  And I always did.

I took in a deep breath and looked at Timber.  He had no reaction what so ever, he didn’t seem to be freaked out by my tremors which seemed to make me feel, I guess, normal.

I picked up my skateboard and gripped the axel with my hand as we both walked towards the door.  There weren’t any signs saying animals weren’t allowed so I took Timber in with me.  Oddly, I felt safer with him by my side for some reason.

The door chimed as it opened and closed.  There was a boy sitting at the counter, his head shoved behind a magazine.  His large tan hands were shaking just like mine.

I began to walk into one of the isles when I saw him sneak a peak at me. I spun my head around and caught him staring at me with a very weird look.  I couldn’t place my finger on what he was doing.  I didn’t move for a moment, until Timber pulled at my shirt.

I walked over to the collars and took a dark leather one.  I figured that leather would last longer.  I skipped the leash because I’d come to the realization that this dog had become very attached to me and was never going to leave my side.  Plus, I don’t think a leach could stop this beast from going where he wanted.  I grabbed a piece of rawhide that Timber kept pressing his nose against too.  Well, the one he kept pressing his nose against the most.

It was silly of me to think that Timber was perfect, because on our way down another isle he saw a mouse skid across the floor.  He began to chase after it,  growling and barking hysterically.  I quickly grabbed him around the neck, trying to hold him back.  Timber has a huge advantage because of his size, but I have my strength.

He fought and squirmed trying to reach the mouse.  He didn’t stop barking or growling.  Suddenly, the boy from the counter was now skidding across isle with a broom, swatting at the stupid mouse.  The rodent was running in a constant circle, not even bothering to leave the isle.  After a moment of swatting the mouse was gone and Timber calmed down.  The boy from the counter came back to see if everything else was okay, or I think that’s the reason.

He casually sauntered over to me and said “Uh…..hi.  I’m Adam.”  He extended his hand towards me, which was twitching a little.  His eyes were still curious as ever, only now, there was something else.  It wasn’t happiness, it was something more, but I just couldn’t figure it out.  I grabbed his hand anyway, no need to be rude if he wasn’t going to be anymore. I hope he was done with the glaring.

“I’m Tala.  I just moved here, but I have a feeling you already knew that.”

“Oh, yeah.”  He seemed to know that I was referring to the wolf in the woods.  “Um, our dads were good friends when you lived here.  I think mine is actually helping yours move furniture or something like that.” He seemed to stop trembling once we stopped shaking hands.  I was calm and so was he.  He looked down at Timber.  “Nice dog you have there.”