Chapter 2

It was day three of our trip to Canby. I was in my fathers Hyundai listening to my other My Chemical Romance CD.  I was trying to think of how I could protect my father from the vampires who were coming for me sooner or later.  I wasn’t the only one in danger here and both of us knew it, but only I could admit it.  I had thought of many ideas and told a couple to my father.

My first idea was to hide for the rest of my life or at least try to.  I would live in a little town in the middle of no where.  We would have no connection to the rest of society and instead of having the internet we’d have the Pony Express. Both of us knew that this was just unreasonable because the vampires would just track my scent.  Although it might be harder for them to find me the farther away I go and I think Canby is pretty far, well to drive it is. I think that was my dad’s goal or reasoning behind this.  

There’s one little worry that lingers in the back of my mind though.  If they have a vampire who is a tracker, one who could follow a sent without any problems at all, I would be dead for sure.  Although, if they do have a tracker I would probably have been dead a week ago.  Unless they’re making a game out of this which is most likely what’s going on.  Basically, they let me run for a certain amount of time, and then hunt me down like a kid searching for an Easter egg during an egg hunt.     

My second idea was to run as far away from my father as possible in order for the vampires to spare his life.  If I was ambushed while in the house with him, they would take him as a free meal.  I didn’t tell him this idea though.  I know it would crush him if I left, but if I stayed it could be a lot worse.  I was all he had left of my mom so he was over protective.  Eventually, I would build up the strength to let go in order to protect him even though he thinks it’s not necessary.  

My thought process was distracted when I heard loud growl from in the woods to my right.  I wasn’t focused on my driving any longer, only what was lurking in the trees.  It sounded like a wolf, like me.  And for a split second I could see a large chocolate colored wolf staring right back at me, following me. He has deep brown eyes that didn’t match the expression he wore.  He seemed… curious.  He could tell I’m not from here, yet he knows what I am. Great I thought to myself.  Local pack found the newbie. And then, he was gone. My eyes only left the woods when my cell phone began to vibrate from the cup holder I had placed it in. I quickly grabbed it and flipped it open to see my father’s number flashing back at me.  I pressed the speaker button so that I could concentrate on my driving and talking at the same time.

“Hey dad.  What’s up?  Did I miss an exit,” I asked.

“No, you didn’t.  Just wondering if you saw any of the locals yet, if you know what I mean? ‘Cuz I think they saw you.”  He said in a shaky voice.

I sighed and said “Yea I saw him.  He definitely knows what I am.” I had really planned on hiding that from everyone like a superhero would hide their identity. 

“Maybe you could join there pack or something like that.  I mean you are one of them.  You were born here, so your blood runs through their veins.”

“No, dad, no.  I’m not joining their pack.  I don’t even know anything about them and I don’t care to know.  I have a pack dad.” He was silent for a moment after that.

“Tala, they’re gone honey.  I know it hurts to hear it, but they’re not coming back.  No matter how much you want them to. You need to move on Tala.”  I could feel a lump swelling up in my throat.  I had been avoiding those very words for a week now, I even missed the funerals.  My dad broke the silence when he said

“Um, get off at the next exit okay.  You know where to go from there right?”

I managed to clear my throat and say “Yea, next exit got it.”  I closed the phone and gripped the wheel tightly.  I took in a quivering breath and felt a tear escape from my eye.  It rolled down my check and landed on my leg. Looking down, I saw a little water splotch on my khaki shorts.  I’m so weak. That’s why I’m running away from my fears. That’s why I plan to run even farther away. Is this truly strategy, or is it really just fear?  I thought to myself.  I looked up towards the woods where there was only a blur of trees.  He wasn’t there and I hope it would stay that way.