Chapter Two

"Wolverine, give Hope your jacket."

Logan stared at Storm. "Why would I do that?"

"Because she's wearing practically nothing!" Storm argued, hands on her hips. "She must be freezing."

Logan glanced down at Hope at his side. Storm did have a point. Hope's t-shirt was practically ripped all over the place, and burn marks created holes all the way down her shirt and shorts.

He shrugged the jacket off. "Why didn't you say anything?" He asked Hope, handing her the jacket.

She took it shyly. "I didn't want to be rude. You guys already took me out of the forest. Thanks, for that. And for the jacket."

He smiled down at her. "Don't mention it. I want it back, though." He said pointedly, then walked down the jet ramp, following the others. 

As they set foot in the school, students stopped and stared as the adults passed through them. A few began whispering to each other, trying to discreetly point at the new girl. Hope shrank back closer to Logan, eyes wide as she watched all of them watching her.

"Logan!"

Everyone turned as Rogue ran towards them. She nodded to Jean, then grabbed Logan's arm.

"Thank goodness you guys are back! Reed Richards is here asking about the storms. He wants to call Bruce Banner and bring them all in to study--" Rogue stopped, eyes finally seeing Hope standing just behind Logan. "Who's she?" She asked with a rude  undertone.

"Rogue, this is Hope. We rescued her from the storms." Storm said quietly, eyes narrowed. "Hope, this is one of our senior students, Rogue."

Hope reached out her hand to shake Rogue's, but Rogue pulled back with a sarcastic grimace, "Sorry, can't touch people." Apparently, Hope's closeness to Logan had not gone unnoticed.

"Scott! I'm glad to see you've returned!"

Everyone turned to look at the Professor as he wheeled himself in, smiling. He looked straight to Hope, then raised an eyebrow in surprise. "You're a telepath?"

Hope blushed. It had only taken him seconds to catch on. "Only partial, sir."

"Enough of one to know how to block me out, and that is impressive in itself." He mused with a warm smile, looking like he knew more than he let on.

Hope's blush only grew deeper. "I've picked up a few tricks along the way."  The Professor nodded, then looked to Scott, who was watching in astonishment. 

"Reed Richards is on his way to discuss the recent events with us. I've also called in Tony Stark and Bruce Banner to come join in the conversation." The Professor looked back to the entire group. "Why don't you all clean yourselves up before our guests arrive, yes?" The Professor and Hope laughed, as if it was an inside joke.

"Jean, would you be so kind as to accompany me to the lab? And Storm, show Hope where she can clean herself off and get some clean clothes." The Professor turned around briskly with a smile, Jean following as they went back the way he came. Slowly, the students around them began dispersing, whispers echoing around the empty hall. Scott grumbled something about 'snotty Stark' and went upstairs.

Storm turned and smiled to Hope. "Come, I'll show you."

 - - - - -

Logan stalked quietly down the hallway, listening for a shower. He figured he might as well get his jacket back while he could. And hey, if he could sneak a peek while he was at it, why not?

Finally finding the right door, he entered slowly and silently. Ahead, he saw Hope in the shower, eyes closed. Perfect. Glancing away from her, he saw his jacket lying on the counter. He stepped inside, shutting the door noiselessly behind him and walking to pick up his jacket. Just before he did, he stole a look at Hope, really looking at her for the first time.