Chapter One

"Reports of odd storms have been coming in all over the western United States. What started as random rockslides and downpours have turned into larger hailstorms and most recently, fiery rain. Don't believe me? Take a look of the footage we received from the area of the storms, a logging company in eastern Colorado."

The TV switched to a clip of rain pouring down, bringing with it small chunks of fiery rock. The Professor sat forward, scrutinizing what he was seeing.

"Experts have no words for us, it seems. So for now, it's up to viewers to decide what exactly is happening here. I'm Sandra Woods, coming to you live from Channel 16, and stay tuned for updates on the weather."

"Jean, rewind that for me, would you?" The Professor asked, eyes never leaving the screen. Jean nodded, grabbing the remote.

"Alright, pause it."

Jean hit the button, and everyone sat forward, trying to see what the Professor was seeing. He narrowed his eyes, staring into the clip of the storm. Weather reports had shown the storm and other natural disasters centered around a single area in Colorado. Now, the clip they were seeing was from just outside the edge, and you could see into the forest for only forty yards before the steam and rain and fire became too dense to glimpse any further.

Professor Xavier sat back, wheeling his chair around so that he could look at everyone standing before him. Jean, Storm and Scott, attentive as always, sat forward. Logan remained in the back, pretending to not be too interested.

"I believe you all should head out to investigate." The Professor smirked. "This may be something we need to see. Warren is already on his way there, meet up with him."

The three nodded, leaving immediately for the jet. Logan followed more slowly, much to the Professor's amusement.

Just over an hour later, they were above Colorado, circling above the storm clouds below. 

"Storm, can you move them aside?" Scott called behind him, adjusting the controls on the jet's panel. She nodded, closing her eyes. Below them, the clouds moved out a bit, then swarmed back in just as quickly.

Frowning, Storm opened her eyes again. "I…I can't." The shock showed on her face as she realized why. "There's someone controlling it from below."

Jean glanced over at Scott. "Makes sense why the Professor wants us to check it out now. I'll land the jet off to the left." Logan closed his eyes, grimacing. He hated flying, especially when Jean was piloting the ship.

When the plane landed, they all clambered out, looking ahead of them with apprehension. 

"You first." Logan grunted, nudging Scott forward. He turned and frowned, then began walking forward slowly. Everyone followed, bracing themselves as they stepped into the fiery rain.

To their surprise, it didn't hit them. In fact, the fire wasn't causing any damage to their surroundings. It seemed to just disappear as it came into contact with the ground. The further they got in, the heavier the rain became, and the stronger the winds blew. Storm was able to direct the gusts around them so they weren't blown away. 

As they got closer, Logan's eyes narrowed. Was he the only one who could see it?

"You guys see that?" He grunted, looking around. Everyone glanced at him expectantly. Of course. With a sigh, he pointed a finger ahead. "There's a girl up there. Running right at us."

Everyone turned back around, then Jean gasped. "Oh, oh wow." They hurried forward, Logan following with an annoyed expression. The group stopped about ten yards from the girl, watching her run at them.