Chapters 11-19

Chapter 11

York, England

Bob Chandall was in the driving seat of his luxury 4x4 following the route southwards, he had taking so many times before, through the small quaint village of Naburn and alongside the River Ouse.

The car turned left onto a gravel road and up towards Naburn Hall.

The glorious hall with the distinct green ivy walls was a familiar site for him as he had been working there for years. Many people in Yorkshire knew about the rich history of the hall, that started in 1345. The Normans had built it and the hall had been passed on to numerous families after that. In the thirteenth century the lords of the manor of Naburn, namely the Watervills, assigned the manor to the Palmes family who in time added a new wing, where it would remain for centuries until the latter part of the twentieth century. It received a good renovation and was eventually sold to the British government in 2024.

Bob Chandall parked his car, took in a deep breath and walked to the section of the hall with the higher wing, where the doorman did a brief scan, nodded and let him in. Bob walked forward about 20 metres, gave his thin jacket to the waiter and knocked at the well polished wooden door to the right.

The door opened slowly and when the person saw it was Bob she squealed and put her arms briefly around his neck. She let go and let him enter the large room that served as their headquarters. A man approached him and patted him hard on the back. As Bob walked further towards the opposite corner of the room his colleagues, which were admiringly loyal to the cause, went suddenly quiet.

The chair, that Bob usually used to sit on, swivelled and Bob's heart jumped as he caught sight of the person it was.

'Hello there, it is our Mr Bob Chandall. Respect to you and well, congratulations!'

Bob nodded and replied, 'Thank you sir.'

'I came here to see your progress and I cannot say I am disappointed. Your deed will never be forgotten by us Mr Chandall. Soon things will develop as we wanted. Follow me.'

Bob followed him out of the room and into the smaller opposite one where the man, who had praised him in front of the others, shook his hand. He pointed at the large chair and asked Bob to take a seat.

'How are you doing for real Bob?'

'Fine thank you.'

'Good. Mighty good. Sometimes it pays off to be daring.' The man started to grin, 'We want to show our gratefulness, because what you did was not easy. Tell me, would you like some money? See it as a bonus.'

'I appreciate it. But I don't really get a kick from money.'

'Um, do you like anything more specific then, instead of money?'

'As you ask, I do like beverages.'

'Aha. Luxury beverages I take it?'

'Yes.'

'Let me see,' he paused for a minute and then told him his proposal. 'Then we will pay you for a 14 day trip to Scotland this autumn to test any scotch whiskeys you like and to check out the properties making the whiskeys. And after the 14 days you will inform me which whiskey brand you are most fond of and we will purchase a lifetime stock. I might even throw in some shares of the company.'

'That is ever so kind sir. I didn't expect this reward, so thank you.' Bob said this although he was partially aware of the fact that a reward, big or small, for his deed was on the cards.

'You deserve it my friend,' his boss said, 'Now you can go off and catch up with the others,' and he ushered him away.  

Geneva, Switzerland