XXV:Second Best

Chapter 25 - Second Best

The usual effortless forming of air into a specific shape is proved wrong when I have to form it from huge amounts. The strain of having to control a tornado 20 feet tall is almost unbelievable. I feel like the familiar harmless poking sensation in my arms is going to rip my arms off. So much for being harmless.

On normal brewing, I can only form a tornado ten feet tall and with moderate spinning, where it is hard to see. In this duel, however, the violent stirring of air made seeing almost impossible. Which was the plan, after all. I really hope it is working.

Toni, who was running to get behind Julia and Ernesto was taken aback at the sudden oncoming red blaze. Being her usual quick self, she missed the fire ball by inches. It whizzes past her and disappears amidst the raging whirlwind.

On the process, she loses her concentration and the intense wind made her hit the orange barrier. She drops on the floor, cursing herself.

She struggles to stand up, but some kind of pressure on her back is forcing her down. Three seconds later and the pressure was intensified by an actual person, taking its place. My chance, Toni thought. She summons a small flame and grab the attacker's wrist.

Out of sheer surprise, Ernesto stumbles and loses grip on Toni's back. Toni manages to sit up and direct an attack on Ernesto. Ernesto shields himself by his crossed arms. 

After a minute or so, I release the tornado and direct it somewhere my intuition ordered me. Toni is taking way too long, maybe she was intercepted on her way. I can't wait for her signal, I have to release the magic now or else I'll lose it.

A cry of affliction reaches my ears, two seconds later. My head briefly scans the slowly settling area and see Julia sitting against the barrier, she is holding her leg and is breathing hard.

The abrupt wave of guilt nearly made me run to Julia and assist her up. But another pained cry drags me to the current and real situation.

Toni is subdued under Ernesto's lightning cage. She is held by a small cramped cage made of bolts of lightning. Her face is contorted and its clear she is trying to not scream.

Not far from the cage, is Ernesto. His face is set hard on Toni, as if willing her to just lose all the Hp she currently have.

My anger took over and I will the air force to knock him three yards back. He was caught off guard and he drops on the floor in what looked like a bundled heap. 

Instead of running at Toni's side to help her, I decide to take advantage of the situation. Both of my opponents are currently down, it's my chance. I manipulate the air, but before it can take form of anything, Julia senses my attack and recollects herself. At first, she shoots me three different kinds of amassed energy. I dodge all of them quite fine, but the second wave really brought me flat out.

She bombards me with varied attacks that I didn't have time to react. My hands didn't even bother with their reflex and let my unprotected body take on all the pellets of vigor. It is also an added plus that among her mixed attacks are fire pellets. I can't use an air shield to slow them down because it'll only cause bigger fire pellets that will be directed straight at me. 

When it stops, I lift my head up just in time to see Toni send a forceful kick on Julia's gut. Julia doubles over. Toni shoots me a speeding fire ball, I get the message and gather my blow to help her fire ablaze. The joint attack hits Julia and she falls on the ground. 

Two seconds after, all remnants of the attack subsides. Four out of four players are flat out on the burnt, wet, muddy and shredded grass. Ernesto, on the single heap he was sent to a few minutes ago. Julia, doubled over from Toni's kick and our joint attack. Toni, collapsed on the ground because of the cage trauma. And I, deflated on the floor out of absolute and utter exhaustion.