I:Paradox

Chapter 1 - Paradox

I stare at my bedroom ceiling. Cold breeze swirls around, giving the room a certain chill but despite this I'm still sweating. I can't stop thinking about my dream, and it is making me frustrated. I've been having these nightmares ever since and I can't remember a time when I have slept all through out the night. 

I saw myself running on desert; wide plains of sand and occasional shrub extended far beyond horizon. My throat is parched and my skin is dry indicating I haven't drank water for quite some time. I somehow know that something vicious is chasing me and I shouldn't stop. Out of nowhere, a clear lake descended in front of me.The sun's rays cast a shimmering glow on the water's surface, flattering the fishes' scales as they swam below the surface. Everything about the set-up screamed trap but I stepped near it, allowing my eyes to feast on such a beauty. As thirst ruled over me, I ran closer to the water, and ignored my doubt. I soaked my face into the cool water and began to drink.

I try to raise my head after getting my fill, but I can't. I can't stop drinking. I went on and on sipping water until my stomach is bloated and my body cannot hold another drop. My reflexes are somhow damaged by an unknown force and it wants me to burst. It was then that I realized that what was chasing me has finally kept up and is doing what it is supposed to do. 

"Drink to death, little Jade," a bizarrely sweet voice echoed.

That woke me up, the scary sweet voice and the idea that someone is in my pursuit. I've always had a bad feeling about this, that like in my dreams, someone also wants me dead in real life.  

I take a deep breath and start fixing my bed. Pillows littered the tiled floor and my blanket hung loosely off the side of my bed, abandoning all its use to warm me up. 

The door creaks open and Rose, our servant, peers in. 

"Another dream?" she asks. When I was little, and I used to cry because of the nightmares, Rose was always the one who comforted me. She knows just how often this occurs.   

"Nightmare," I correct her as I sit at the side of the wooden bed. 

She walks in and hands me a glass of cold water, moisture blurred the glass. I take it and and down it with big gulps. She sits beside me, as if she wants to hug me or pat my head or something. I smile, hoping it is enough assurance. 

"Any chance of going back to sleep?" Rose asks. 

"You know the answer to that," I say. 

"Then what can I get you?" she says as she stands and walks to the door. Her face is a mask of pure concern and it takes a lot of will to stop myself from breaking down. I'm not a little girl anymore, I convinced myself. 

Instead of answering her I ask, "What time is it?" 

She frowns, but she looks gingerly behind her, where the grandfather clock stirs. 

"Three hours after midnight," she replies.

 "Okay. I'm going out," I say. I only plan on telling her. My parents are seldom here, and frankly they don't really care where their only daughter goes, regardless of the time. 

"But your mother and your father will be home by six o'clock," Rose says. 

I look at Rose and decide if she's joking. She's not, first of all she doesn't joke and second, I remember her telling me this last week. I shrug. My parents coming is not a big deal anymore, they haven't been home for five months and I have given up long ago to care if they even come back. 

"I don't think I'll be here by then, but I'll try" I reply as I proceed to the closet, dismissing the possibility of me staying, that Rose just sighs and gently closes the door.