chapter 5: Damean Institute for the talented teens

Chapter 5 –

I was walking down the hallway looking for my next classroom whilst still trying to ignore the stares I was receiving. It was period four at the moment and people still weren’t tired of looking at my face. There was a permanent blush on my face considering I wasn’t used to this amount of attention. I looked around worried about how I was going to get my second tardy on my first day as ‘new student’.

Yes my second tardy, seeing as I wasted more than half an hour of period one in Mr Wallace’s classroom. Being the fool I am I even forgot to ask Mr Wallace for a note. I was thankful that I slipped by with just an afterschool detention, because the teacher looked like she was considering strangling me for disrupting the class. I shuddered, thinking what would have happened if I hadn’t caught sight of Trey in the hallway when I had.

I was still pretty annoyed with myself for how easily I had fallen prey to Brett’s trick. And I had half a mind of confronting him about it. I refused to put up with his silly entertainment. But then that was what they were, silly little tricks, and I should have known better than to listen to the likes of him. Guilt flooded through me for the tenth time that day as I thought I was holding him responsible for me being a foolish brat.

This was what kept repeating in my mind the whole day, the anger and the guilt. I was so irritated with myself for being unable to control my thoughts and focus on a good first day rather than a stupid mistake.

I couldn’t comprehend how that Holt guy could control water. As a matter of fact I couldn’t understand how anyone would be able to do such a thing. It was in humane!

 I was half convinced that the whole thing had been my imagination, but I couldn’t think of anything as to why half the people in the room were drenched. Which brings me back to water control, I couldn’t help but cringe at the thought. I even sounded strange to myself. I made a mental note to ask Katie or Trey about my ‘water control’ theory the next time I saw them.

I was pretty sure I had made two new friends, Katie and Trey. Katie seemed friendly enough, unless she was pretending. Guilt wracked through me at the thought, I had no right to judge anybody including Katie, especially since she was being nothing but nice to me.

 As to where Trey was concerned, he seemed thankful for my intervention in the fight much to my discomfort. I just replied to him with simple ‘it’s okays’ keeping from him the fact that I was completely and utterly terrified of water in action. Other than that he was fun to hang around and seemed completely honest.

I couldn’t shrug the fact that this year would be extremely dramatic.

Pausing, with one look at the room number I headed inside it, finding nearly all the students present. Looking around I noticed Brett and his friend Holt sitting in a corner in the back. It was hard to miss considering all the girls and guys surrounding them. Even though they were talking to everyone, they didn’t look like a part of the crowd, they looked like leaders. I gazed at him as he laughed now along with all the girls and compared it with the images I had before when I crashed into him the first time. I compared the image of him grinning with the image of him all depressed and angry. I could see through the pretence he was keeping up and was horrified at the idea of someone having to hide behind a mask of another personality. Again the soon to be familiar feeling of guilt wracked through me, I really had to stop judging people, he obviously wasn’t the person who he displayed himself as, but that didn’t give me the right to mind his business.

 Catching sight of Katie and Trey in the back I walked over to them. Katie was sitting on one of the desks, her expression turning ecstatic when she caught sight of me. She was having a conversation with another guy who was perched up on the seat opposite to her, while Trey was leaning against her table talking to another couple of people. He looked around when he heard Katie stop talking. A grin lit up on his face when he came in contact with me. Looking back up to Katie I saw her looking back and forth between me and the guy she was talking to with a mischievous glint in her eyes, then she looked at Trey and again back and forth between me and the guy, and then back at Trey, a grin lighting up on her face.