Chapter 67

"You have caused me such a problem, Julie," said Susan, standing at the pantry door with a gun in her hand. "Come out of there! Sit at the table, while I figure out what the hell I'm going to do with you!"

"Susan. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry. I was just looking for tea bags."

"It doesn't matter now, Julie."

"It doesn't mean anything," said Julie, desperately, "just because you're sending paintings to Avram doesn't mean..."

"Oh, SHUT UP!"

Susan was pacing back and forth.

"What about Rolly?" asked Julie.

"What about him? The dumbass is probably out there, drowned, eaten by sharks! Who gives a shit?"

Susan, frowning, stroked her chin with her left hand.

She's worried; I'm a monkey wrench.

Susan raised her eyebrows and lifted her chin slightly.

Uh-oh. She feels back in control.

"Get up. We're going out for some fresh air."

Julie got up and Susan got behind her, poking her in the back with the gun.

"MOVE IT! Through there!"

She pushed Julie through the darkened house; through a dining room and a living room walled with big windows looking out on the sea...to a glass paned door.

"Open it!"

Julie opened it, stumbling forward on the threshold. She fell on her hands.

"Get up!" said Susan, whacking her in the back with the gun.

The pain tore through her, as she staggered to her feet.

They were on a wide wooden deck. In front of Julie were a few stairs going down and a long...very long...dock.

"Go on, hurry up!" said Susan, poking her toward the stairs.

"What are you doing?" said Julie, unable to keep the panic out of her voice.

"Shut up and walk! FASTER! I haven't got all night! I still have to get rid of your stupid car, you bitch!"

Susan angrily pushed her again.

It was dark and the tide was high, rough from the storm. The angry black water stretched ominously before her.

Julie ran like hell and jumped in.

* * * * *