Chapter 46

The weather in Key West had deteriorated as the afternoon wore on. Julie looked out the glass doors and across the pool patio. The yachts on the far side of the canal were rocking, palm trees were swaying, and the intermittent rain seemed to be falling once again.

Joe was lounging beside her at the kitchen bar talking to David. Ostensibly, they were keeping him company while he prepared dinner. In reality, Julie knew that she and Joe were enjoying the new intimacy they'd found with each other. For her part, she was more relaxed now than she'd been in a long, long time. I'm glad that he knows about Dan, she mused.

Rolly's name caught her attention, and she tuned back into the conversation. Joe had commented on Rolly's paintings.

"Where do you think he would go?" asked Joe.

"I can't imagine!" said David. "He told me his mother died years ago and he has no other family."

"You better hope they catch him, David," said Julie.

"I hope they don't."

I give up, she thought.

The doorbell rang.

"That's Susan, I think," said David. "Would you get it, Julie? I've developed a phobia about answering the door."

Julie smiled and went to answer it.

"Hi!" said Susan, shaking off her umbrella. She snapped it shut and leaned it against the house. "It's raining sideways; I'm soaked. What a day to move paintings!"

"C'mon in," said Julie. "The rain seems to stop every once in a while. Maybe it will clear long enough to get them into your truck."

Susan had on a light blue denim outfit, the lower pant legs darkened from the rain. She kicked off her shoes and padded to the bar in her socks, exchanging hellos with Joe and David.

"Hm-m, whatever you're cooking smells great," she said, taking a seat.

"A pork roast, with red potatoes and asparagus. There's plenty; we were hoping you could join us?"

"Oh...I'd love to, thanks."

Julie noticed the hesitation and wondered if she'd had other plans. "I'm glad you can stay; I set a place for you," she said, picking up a bottle of wine. "We have Merlot, or there's some Chardonnay, if you prefer."

"Oh, thanks, but I don't drink. I'm diabetic," said Susan. "I'd love some iced tea, if you have it."

"Sure, I'll get it," said David, who had just finished slicing the roast. He brought her a glass and suggested that they go sit at the table.

"Why don't I go up and get the paintings first; it'll only take me a minute," said Susan, opening the portfolio at her feet and extracting a folded sheet. "I brought this to wrap them in, just in case the rain keeps up."

"Can I help?" said Julie.

"No need," said Susan heading up the stairs. "I only need a couple, and they're light before they're framed."

"You can help me Julie," said David. "I've decided to fill the plates in here. You want to go get them?"

"And what do I do?" asked Joe.

"You just sit there looking manly," said David, with a wink.

Julie chuckled as Joe turned red...but he was smiling.

A few minutes later, they were enjoying a candlelight dinner and complimenting the chef.

"So, how are things coming with the show?" said David.

"I've already shipped most of the paintings to the Herzog Gallery, along with the details for the plaques," said Susan.

Looking at Julie and Joe, she explained, "You know...medium, date, and description." She turned back to David. "But enough about the show...how are you doing, David?"

"I'm numb, I guess. It's all too much. I just can't cry anymore. And now they're looking for poor Rolly."

"They're looking for Rolly?"

"Yes. I'm sorry, Susan. I lied to you. Rolly was here with me that night. We arranged for him to come back after he left with you."

Julie caught Joe's eye. He had picked up on Susan's body language, too. She wasn't surprised about Rolly staying over that night. No downward looks, no embarrassment.

"Oh," she said, pausing. "Do they think Rolly had something to do with it?"

"I don't know," said David. "But they're looking for him."

"Do you think Rolly could have killed Marc, Susan?" said Julie.

"Oh, no. Rolly? Of course not."

"Any thoughts about where he might have gone?" asked Joe.

"No idea," she said, shaking her head.

Susan had left, the dishes were cleared away, and they were relaxing in the living room. There was no more talk of Marc's death, or Rolly Archer. They kept the conversation light and watched the rain outside.

David turned on the local weather channel. The sharply dressed weatherman stood, gesturing, next to a computer-enhanced map.

"In the last forty-eight hours, we've upgraded this system to a tropical storm. You can see Carlo here, approaching Cuba.

"It's a large, slow moving system and a major rain-maker. So far, it's caused severe flooding in Haiti and Jamaica, and we're getting the outer bands of wind and rain here in the Keys.

"If the cold front in the south continues pressing down into Florida, it could disorganize this storm and push it back out into the Atlantic.

"However, if that front weakens, Carlo will likely head into the Gulf of Mexico, where the warmer water could cause the storm to strengthen and grow more organized. In that case, we would expect it to take a more westerly course, toward Mexico.

"Stay tuned to the Weather Channel here for continuous updates on tropical storm Carlo."

David turned off the TV. "Well, let's pray it blows out to sea," he said, sighing and getting up from the couch. "I hope you two will forgive me, but I'm so tired...I really must go to bed."

"Not at all, David," said Joe, rising. "Thank you for a terrific dinner."

"It was really good, David. Thank you," said Julie.

"My pleasure. I'm glad you're both here. Goodnight, my dears." He set his wine glass on the kitchen counter and went into his bedroom.

"He's such a nice guy," said Joe.

"Yes, he is," said Julie. "He's a gentle person. It's a shame he's embroiled in all of this."

An awkward silence ensued. Julie was reluctant to end the evening, but they had clearly run out of conversation. "Well, I guess it's that time for me, too," she said, rising.

"Yeah, good idea," said Joe.

She turned off the lights and headed down the hallway. His arm came up beside her, blocking her bedroom door. "Julie, wait," he said, "You're driving me crazy. I can't wait any longer." Then he pulled her into his arms and kissed her.

Julie succumbed instantly. She couldn't have said no if she wanted to...and she certainly didn't want to.

They undressed quickly, their hands all over each other, exploring secret parts they had longed to see and touch.

Joe yanked off the comforter and they fell on the bed. He paused, braced on his arms, looking down at her. Julie savored the delicious weight of his body on hers. And then he was moving inside her.

The rain pounded furiously at the window, but Julie was oblivious to it, caught up in a mounting storm of her own.

* * * * *