Chapter 8

December, 1989
Boston, Massachusetts

They were seated at their favorite table in the alcove by the bow window inside Blum's Bakery & Deli, two blocks from the dealership. The windowsill was egalitarian, sporting Hanukah candles and a miniature Christmas tree. Julie looked through the lightly steamed panes at the snow blowing around outside. The little restaurant was renowned for its soups and sandwiches and was filled to capacity with lunchtime regulars, who were as dependable as kids around an ice-cream truck. Julie watched as each of them stamped their wet boots and unconsciously smiled as they entered.

The cacophony of voices actually made for privacy and the two of them found it a cozy spot for conversation. But, for some reason, Marc wasn't his usual chatty self. He had finished his pastrami sandwich in near silence, and now he was studying her with a very serious expression.

"I'm leaving, Julie. I can't sell cars. I haven't had a sale in a month."

"Marc, don't say that...you have to be more positive."

"All right, how's this? I'm positive I'm not cut out for this. Seriously, I just can't take it anymore. I can't. I've had it."

"Oh, stop. It's all in the numbers. If you see enough people, someone will buy. Besides, it's not you they're rejecting; it's the car, or the deal."

"Why can't they be nice, though?" he whined.

Oh, God, not that again.

"Look...people are defensive in a sales situation, Marc. You have to stop taking it personally."

"I can't help it! Besides, I want to go back to art school. My Dad's going to be pissed, but my mother understands. I'm going to tell Dan today, Julie. Hell, he's expecting it."

Julie slumped in resignation. It was always just a matter of time. She could tell that Marc's decision wasn't going to change, no matter what she said.

"Oh, damn. I suppose you're right. But I'm going to miss you so much!"

They were getting up to leave; Julie smiled and poked him in his shoulder.

"Do you realize I'll be eating lunch all by myself, you selfish brat?"

"Oh, I don't know about that," he said, helping her with her coat. "You could invite The Divine Dan to lunch."

Solomon Chrysler's New Car Manager, Dan O'Hara, was six-foot-five with wavy black hair and green eyes. Marc, who had a crush on him, generally referred to him as "Superman" or "The Divine Dan". Julie couldn't stand him.

"Not funny. He hates me and the feeling is mutual. I'm going to miss you terribly, Marc," she said as they headed for the door. "Promise that you'll keep in touch with me?"

"Of course I will."

"Solemn promise?"

"Solemn promise."

* * * * *