Chapter 1

Now back to when it all began. I walked into the apartment that Lucy and I shared. She was in the kitchen, sorting the mail into three piles; Bills, my mail, and her mail. I walked up behind her and peeked over her shoulder. As usual there wasn’t much mail for me.  On the counter was a single letter addressed to me. I reached over her shoulder and snatched it up and looked at the name of the sender. The letter was from someone named John Lewis? I tried to remember who John Lewis was, but nothing came up. It looked like a normal letter, so I decided it would be safe to open, no poison could be hiding in it. I thought it was just a normal letter from a family friend, but I would soon realize it was so much more.

I opened the letter carefully, making sure there wasn’t any strange powder in the envelope that could turn me into a zombie. Inside was just a neatly folded piece of paper, and one smaller paper. I took out the folded paper, and checked it for a check or some cash, hoping I won some contest Lucy entered me in and didn’t remember to tell me about. Nothing special in the letter though. I opened the letter fully, and decided it was safe to read, no poison and no free money, the second half bummed me out some, but I got over it quickly.

“Dear Annabelle,

I know I shouldn’t be writing to you as they are always watching us both, but this is important. You are being watched by some very dangerous people who want you and me both. You don’t remember me because you were small and my name wasn’t John back then. I can’t tell you what my real name is or they’ll find me. I can’t be found, and you should watch your back so you’re not caught too.

I need a favor. I need you to reply to this letter with a certain object. I can’t tell you what it is directly, but I’ve figured out a few hints only you could figure out if you think about it. The hint’s are also in the mail, they should be coming from your uncle James. He knows what’s going on and wants to meet you sometime this weekend. Call him and use the code phrase “Indian food” so he will know what you are talking about.

Anyway, I’ll be in contact with you to make sure nothing bad happens to you. Watch your back and I promise everything will be explained soon. The end is never really the end darling.

P.S. - You’ll need the slip of paper in the envelope to get to the hint; you’ll understand when you get it.

                                                                                                            Sincerely,

                                                                                                            John Lewis”

I re-read the letter over again, not realizing Lucy was staring at me, watching me with curiosity. I handed her the letter, and watched to see her reaction. Her eyes widened and the she narrowed them. I couldn’t understand what she was thinking. I’m just bad at reading people. When she finished reading the letter she turned to me, her face suddenly getting real serious.

“You need to call your uncle and find out what is going on here. This is crazy! This doesn’t happen to regular people like you and me!” She half yelled half mumbled. She seemed to be lost in her own thoughts, not even remembering the real world. That’s Lucy for you, always spacing out. While she was in La la land, I picked up my phone and dialed my uncle’s number. It rang three times before he picked up and I heard his gruff voice;

“Hello? Annabelle? How are you sweetie?” He answered. I love my uncle he’s the nicest person I know.

“Uhm uncle? I have to ask you something. Is there something I should know about Indian Food? I heard you know a lot about it too, from a friend named John.” I asked casually.