Chapter 23 || As Long As You'll Have Me

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > >

"I don't like being the one to say I told ye so, but..." Llayla smiled brightly up at me. I rolled my eyes and walked into the living room. "She can't keep her eyes off ye, and ye her. Are ye planning on telling the men?"

"I want to tell everyone, but it is new, and I don't want to scare her." Llayla nodded.

She came up to me and pinched my cheek hard, "I knew ye was a good one. Goodnight, Lea. I'm so happy for you!"

"Thank you, Llayla. I'll see you in the morn, and try not to make too much noise with Aiden tonight," I winked, and she slapped my cheek, jokingly.

"Ye just wish it was ye and a wee princess, instead of us," she said smugly.

"Aye," I sighed, "but I will do right by her."

Llayla gave me a light hug, before making her way up the stairs and, no doubt, waiting for Aiden's return. I took my place on the pile of blankets, Llayla prepared for me and closed my eyes, but the visions from my nightmares haunt me. All the good that happened today was not enough to keep them at bay. I lay awake fearing the very thought of closing my eyes.

Soon Aiden walked through the house, not bothering to see if I was awake or not, as he ran up the stairs to his waiting wife. I took a few of the blankets from nearby and covered my ears, not wanting to hear the sounds of their union. An hour or so passed, I think. It's hard to tell time in the dark, and my eyes remained open. I was slowly becoming afraid of the very thought of blinking. Going great deals of time without. This is absurd. I thought to myself. A grown man afraid of his own shadow.

I breathed out easily, trying to relax, and force myself to sleep by sheer will. Arabella laid in my arms. My fingers tangled in her soft hair. "I love y-" she began but coughed abruptly. Soon blood was dripping down her chin.

"No!" I called, waking myself up with a start. In the darkness, I heard a gasp. "Who's there?" I called.

"It's only me," Arabella whispered. "I cannot sleep, and I was wondering," she began but stopped suddenly.

"What is it?"

After a moment of silence, she asked, "Would you sleep with me?" Then giggled to herself nervously, "Never mind, I'm being silly. I'll leave," her voice began drifting towards the stairs.

"No, wait," I called back, getting up from my makeshift bed, and walking towards her voice. "It's not silly. I'll stay as long as you'll have me," I added. Together we climbed the stairs, but when we reached the room I notice the hesitation in her steps and stop. However, before I can say anything Arabella takes hold of my hand and tugs me through the threshold.

We climb into the small bed together, and she turns her body to face mine. A small smile playing on her lips. I wrap my arms around her. Soft red curls are tickling my nose, and gentle hands are resting on my chest. I hear her let out a sweet sigh, as she begins to let sleep take hold of her. I, however, do not. I stare at her, memorizing her button nose speckled with golden brown freckles, her gentle, yet warriors cheeks, long eyelashes. I feel her stir. "Leathan," she murmurs, suddenly in the dark.

I've been caught. "Hmm?"

"You need to sleep too," she says her voice thick with sleep. She has no idea that I can not. The visions haunt me. 

"I will," I whisper, but my voice is far too loud, for someone trying to sleep. I know I am lying, but I cannot tell her the truth.

She lets out a frustrated sigh. "But you won't," she states her eyes now awake and locked on me. "You won't go to sleep because of something I can't see; images that lurk in your mind, but you must." I should have known I could not fool her. Stubborn and bright is a dangerous combination. "Maybe it would help to talk about them," she suggests. And I shake my head. She should not have to bare it. No one else should have too, but I. "Fine, then close your eyes," she whispered, but it held a challenge. 

I meet her challenging eyes with my own, and she simply raised her brow. I'm not winning this. I see it. By keeping my eyes open, it's only proving her point. I need to close my eyes. I let out an uneasy breath bracing myself for the flood of images and close my eyes. Before the first image can hit, I feel Arabella's soft lips brushing over my eyelids, down to my nose, across my cheeks, and to my jaw line. Her fingers tip tracing my shoulders, down the arm closest to her, and finally entwining my fingers with hers. She has cast a spell on me. I'm relaxed, more than I've ever been. "You control, your dreams," she whispers. "Face them, and conquer, but until then, I'll be here," she adds, giving my hand a light squeeze. "Do not open those eyes," she orders.

"Did you just give the leader of the rebellion an order, Little Princess?" I questioned, smiling down at where I knew her face to be. I could practically feel her embarrassment. 

"Hell, yes I did," she stated with a firmness I hadn't been expecting, and my eyes fly open. "Hey," she laughed, "eyes closed."

"Mo Misneach, you never cease to amaze me," I wink at her, earning the blush I had been expecting. Her cheeks turning the sweet shade of red, although it's hard to tell. I have seen it enough times to imagine it perfectly. "I'll see you in the morn," I whisper wrapping her small form closer to mine.

"Sweet dreams, Leathan," she smiles against my chest, as she snuggles into me. We are happy. We are peaceful. Sleep is taking over me as it is her, and that's when I hear it;  a loud pounding coming from downstairs.

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > >

Hey, fellow bookworms! I hope you all enjoyed the chapter! I just wanted to say how thankful I am of all of your love and support towards the book! I really can't believe it! Anywho, feel free to drop a comment below and if you liked the chapter be sure to vote. I update every Tuesday and Thursday.

Thanks again!

Stay Awesome!