Chapter 12 || Leaving An Awful Bitter Taste

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > > 

I don't want to move, for every time I do, my stomach lurches, and I feel as though the contents are going to cover the ground. So, I chose to remain in bed, prying Leathan is successful on his journey. I stayed with Aiden, and we have become much better acquainted. 

"Ella, it's almost midnight, and I know you had nothing other than breakfast. You need to eat something," Aiden orders.

"I fine, really," I persist. My stomach is in such pain, the very thought of food passing through my lips is making me sick.

"What is wrong?" He asks, walking closer until he is hovering over my body, tucked under the mounds of blankets. He has been trying to get me to tell him most of the day, but I have done a rather good job at avoiding the topic altogether.

"I'm just not feeling very well," I say dismissively, but he won't allow it.

"I, uh, saw the blood," he comments, but then his ears become red. "Uh, when my wife isn't feeling very well, she likes to be held," he adds shyly. What is he talking about? Oh! He thinks I'm.

I shake my head. "I'm sorry to worry you, Aiden, but it is not that. Thank you. My stomach is simply upset."

"Uh, well, that's much easier to fix," he smiles, before leaving the tent. Is it possible for a man as intimating as he to be so lovable? Since Leathan left, Aiden as stayed by my side, playing games with me, telling jokes, stories of his family and the men. I have never had any siblings, but he feels as close to an older brother as I'm ever going to get. I sigh and close my eyes. My thoughts wandering to Leathan. I hope he is safe.

"Ella," Aiden calls sweetly with the nickname he created, "I got you some crackers and a cup of water. My mother used to give this to me when my stomach felt ill, and I didn't want to eat."

I took the few crackers into my hand and began nibbling on them, for his benefit. Thankfully my fears do not turn to reality, and the food remains down. "Thank you, Aiden."

"Well, I can't very well let you go to sleep hungry," he comments with an easy chuckle. I smile and gaze upon his face for the thousandth time, but this time I notice something.

"Aiden, how did you get this scar?" I ask, pointing to the nick right below his left eye. It's a shade lighter than his tanned skin.

"I don't know if you want to hear that story, Ella," his face takes on a solemn feeling instantly.

"Please, tell me," I urge, needing a distraction from the pain.

"I got it when I was ten. My older brother, Otto, and I were pretending we were great knights. We were in the middle of an epic dual, when the Josephina, one of our friends from the village, came running down the hill screaming like a banshee, for our help. We followed her, and I remember smelling the faint smell of smoke. Then, we saw angry flames atop her home. Her mother was trapped inside, and most of the men in the village were away to fight in the crusades. Otto ran head first into the house, and I followed him. There were flames everywhere," Aiden said, his voice far away. "Otto found Josephina's mother, and we got her to the door when the house began to collapse. Otto got hit in the head and was knocked out cold. But, I couldn't stop. I had to help Josephina's mother, for she couldn't see, due to the smoke. When she was safe, I turned to go back for Otto. I could see him just in the doorway. Before I could reach him the house clasped, I was too devastated to notice the gash just under my eye from a nail in the wood. He died that day at thirteen."

I watched in sadness as a single tear traveled down the cheek of my gentle giant.

"He was so brave," I whispered to Aiden.

"Aye, he was. You know, he was the one, who first told me of your story and the prophecy," he smiled with pride. "I vowed on that day to find and protect you."

"I'm sorry. What prophecy are you referring to?"

"You know, the one about you, of course," he chuckled, nudging my shoulder softly, but my face must have portrayed my confusion, for he quickly sobered up. "You don't know of it," he questioned, shocked. I agreed. 

"Well, it is foretold that in the mists of darkness and great suffering, the product of the cause will rise and a great light will shine bright, and peace will resign over all the land. Don't you see, Ella, you are the product of the Kingdoms cause to suffer; The King and Queen. You are our light," he finished smiling down at me.

My parents. Me. This plan must work. If I am the light the prophecy is talking about, but what if I'm not. It's a sinking thought, but what if. The deadly phrase played around in my head for a moment longer, but I tried to dislodge it from my mind. However, like any pest, the phrase remains to leave an awful bitter taste.

"Well, I suppose it is time for bed, you have a long few weeks of travel ahead of you. Would you be more comfortable if I slept outside or...," he began, but faded off.

"Oh, I wouldn't want you to sleep outside and bare the dreaded cold winds. No, sleep here," I urged. Aiden pulled his lips back into a wide grin. A smile I was beginning to realize was strictly Aiden. He saw where Leathan had slept the night before, when he first entered the tent, so he walked over to the spot, and flopped his large body onto the floor of blankets, causing a small giggle to emanate from me.

"Goodnight, my future Queen," he said through the dark, similar to the way Leathan had. Is it strange that after only two days of this routine, I'm becoming accustomed to having someone whisper farewells to me in the dark.

"Sweet dreams, my friend," I smiled back, even though he cannot see my face. After a moment or so, I feel the sharp pain again and roll over to in attempts to calm the sudden ache, but it does nothing to help. I hear Aiden across the tent, beginning his rather loud decent into a heavy sleep. I force my eyes shut and focus all my attention on Aiden's breathing. When he breathes, I breathe, and soon, I feel my eyes growing heavy. The pain is still very much alive, but I keep my thoughts solely on Aiden's steady breaths.

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > > 

Hey, fellow bookworms! I know this is late by a day, but again I was having troubles writing it. I still don't feel like I have done Aiden's character justice in this chapter, so I will be going back, but I wanted to get it up, so here you are. Thank you for reading and giving me all the support you have. Feel free to leave a comment below, I love hearing from you, and if you enjoyed the chapter, be sure to vote. Also, I will be posting the next chapter at the regularly scheduled time of tomorrow.

Thanks again!

You are all so amazing!