1

A cool, yet gentle breeze blew in from the North, caressing my face and awakening my senses. With it, came the subtle taste of ocean salt. Long locks of delicate brown hair swayed behind me as the wind pushed it back away from my neck and shoulders.

The sun was beginning to set, turning the sky orange and casting a golden light over the water. Dark clouds were accumulating on the far horizon, but I gave them little thought. We would be docked by the time they rolled in.

The sound of waves gently lapping against the sides of the boat soothed me, reminding me of when my father used to bring me out here.

I couldn't help but smile at the memory. My father hadn't sailed in years, not since we'd lost Uncle Paul, so the only chances I had to be on the ocean were when my friends decided to throw these ridiculous parties.

I turned away from the railing to face the rest of the passengers. There was no denying that they were drunk. They always were.

"We're free!" Emily squealed in delight. She was dressed in nothing but a skimpy, fluorescent pink bathing suit and currently hung off the bare bicep of Jacob Cox. They were both unbelievably tan, a feat I could never hope to accomplish. It never mattered how much time I spent in the sun. I'd either burn slightly or maintain a moderately pale complexion.

"Can you believe it, Elizabeth?" Jacob slurred happily as he looked up at me, "We actually graduated!"

"That, we did," I smiled at the drunken idiot that sat before me.

He grinned widely and lifted his red solo cup high in the air, nearly losing the amber liquid inside. I copied his motion, but unlike him, I did not bring the beverage back down to my lips.

I didn't drink. I refused to. But unfortunately, my friends had a hard time accepting that. No matter how many times I refused their alcohol, they would always thrust a cup into my hands. I'd learned quite a while ago that just accepting it and carrying it around would prevent more offers, even if I didn't drink it.

Sighing, I swirled the amber liquid around in my cup before looking back down the other side of the boat. I was slightly amused to find Danny, the captain and host of the party, nearly asleep at the wheel. Though we were anchored, he was too hammered to understand that he didn't need to stay at the wheel, and instead, continued to steer us in no real direction, eyelids drooping in drunken fatigue.

Shrugging, I ducked under sails and hopped over limbs until I found myself standing before him. I waved my hand in front of his face, but he was unresponsive.

"Danny," I chirped while snapping my fingers in front of his face. He groaned as he squinted confusedly at me.

"What?" he asked, lifting up his head and straightening his spine.

He rubbed the side of his face as I spoke, "You're drunk."

"No, you're drunk," he fired back weakly, slumping a little more in his chair. He blinked at me for a few moments of intense focus before erupting in an ecstatic grin, "Hey! Elizabeth's here!"

I rolled my eyes with an exasperated sigh, slowly letting them find their way back to the horizon. A flash of lightning illuminated the darkening storm as it slowly drew closer to us.

Danny belatedly followed my gaze before rushing enthusiastically to the railing. I followed behind, making sure he didn't accidentally tumble into the choppy water below.

As I came to stand next to him, his voice took on a menacing tone. He scowled as he stared out at the dark clouds, "There be a storm brewing." He rushed back to the wheel, and yet again, I followed him.

He turned to Jacob and Alec, enthusiastically shouting, "Haul up anchor, boys! We got some waves to catch!"

The men grudgingly moved to follow orders. Once the anchor was up, Danny spun the wheel and pointed us in the rough direction of the storm. As the sails caught, the boat lurched forward. Danny let out a triumphant hoot and I clutched the nearest object for support.

The wind was rushing by faster now, creating a large whoosh as it flew past my ears. Salty ocean water splashed up the sides of the boat, speckling us with a fine mist.

"What are you doing?" I asked Danny, raising my voice so he could hear me over the wind.

"Having fun," he slurred, putting his face unnecessarily close to mine. I reeled back as the putrid smell of the booze on his breath invaded my senses. "You should try it sometime."

I raised my brow uncertainly as he turned back to the rest of his passengers. "Alrighty boys and girls," he raised his drink as he addressed them, swaying a bit, "Here's to four years with you crazy lot! In celebration of our graduation, I'll take you on the ride of your life. So hold on to your drinks and don't fall overboard!"

A series of hoots and raised drinks was their reply. I, on the other hand, turned a wary eye to the horizon. The lightning was becoming more frequent, and I could hear the booms of thunder as we approached.

"Maybe that's not such a good idea," I tried to reason with him.

"Shhhhhhhhhhhh," he responded, leaning down and struggling to put a silencing finger on my lips, "You need to learn how to relax. It's a party, Liz. Have a little fun."

I only turned wearily back to the ever growing mass of black storm clouds. Even the best sailors had problems when trying to sail through a storm. I knew from experience that Danny was a fair sailor, but he couldn't have even walked in a straight line if I'd asked him to.

I used to be able to sail a boat, but that was when I was younger and under the guidance of my father. I could sail in good weather, but if things were to take a turn for the worst, I knew for a fact that I couldn't sail in a storm.