Chapter 39: Abducted

A/N: Hi guys! Am currently having a unexpected short break from work and studies. Not feeling well today; so, author's note is short...won't be having one at the end of the chapter.

Please vote, comment and/or share. ;)

-CeBea

Read in alternative platform: http://wp.me/p4sbY6-f1 

Chapter 39: Abducted

Behind the curtain of one window, the doctor spied the man in the dark suit. Louis' personal bodyguard stood out in front of James' brightly painted house. Allan's back was ramrod straight as he waited for Louis' friends to settle personal matter prior to their departure.

Fred could hear hushed voices in the adjacent room. The couple had been closeted in there for a while. He decided to join Allan outside. Upon closer inspection, the bodyguard was tense...and unhappy. "I thought Louis would be with you."

"He convinced me to leave him at the mansion", Allan said at length. "Louis can be very persuasive – a family trait most Roucans share, I believe."

The stoic bodyguard cracked a smile. "I'm hoping that he can help me keep my job."

Fred noticed Allan's informal use of Louis' name. Curious, he asked: "If you don't mind my asking, how long have you known him?"

"Since childhood, sir. My father was Chief of Security and Louis' private defence instructor. Louis and I were sparring partners."

"That's why you were assigned to him", Fred realized. It all clicked together. Louis could overpower six of Mr. Roucan's men. The son's personal bodyguard would need to at least be a competent fighter.

"Louis is one of the most difficult VIPs to guard. Notorious for pulling pranks and using stealth tactics against security staff. It made sense to assign me since I know him better than most – himself, even."

"Let me guess, you're the best student in class?"

Allan gave a close-mouthed smile and turned towards the door.

James emerged from the house looking worried. He saw the bodyguard and appraised him. "You're Allan?" the novelist asked.

"Yes, sir."

"Did Louis tell you what I need?"

"In vague terms, sir."

The novelist sighed. "I suppose that's to be expected."

"Mr. Louis did say to bring whatever you require."

James cocked his head to the side. "Would requesting the use of one of their state-of-the-art computers in your IT department be a bit too much?"

"Consider it done. Is there anything else, sir?"

Anonymity, discretion, and protection were things James requested for him and his family.

"I'll have my most trusted men on watch", Allan said, after he relayed instructions through his mouthpiece.

"If anything happens to them..." James' eyes flashed with promise.

"I'll make sure it doesn't", Allan said, unfazed. "If you'll follow me, please." He gestured towards the black hover car.

The novelist followed, a backpack slung over his shoulder. Fred lagged behind. He was surprised to discover his best friend's other side. For someone who avoided fights, that threat didn't seem empty.