Chapter 22: Charade

Chapter 22: Charade

The tunnel branched out into two in front of Fred. Zafeera and Electra stood at each opening. A clean breeze wafted from Zafeera’s while Electra’s smelled of earth and plants. They smiled at him and started walking into their respective tunnels. His name on their lips, they stretched an arm out to him, beckoning for Fred to follow one of them. He closed his eyes and willed himself awake. Reopening his eyes, the paths had merged into one. Zafeera and Electra was nowhere to be found. He moved forward, his footsteps rang dully against the hard stone floor. His steps became more urgent as he pressed on. Fred had broken into a run until he saw a woman standing with her back to him.

“Electra?” he called.

The woman faced him. She wore sunglasses and a carefree smile.

“Pierre”, Cheska said with a hint of annoyance. Then, she continued speaking in rapid French.

His surroundings vanished but her voice carried on speaking until Fred realised he was fully awake. He felt her pace the room and couldn’t help overhearing the rest of her words which he understood very clearly.

“I told you to stop calling me”, she said. “Don’t ma chére me. I returned your ring because it’s over between us. I’ve caught you cheating on me more than I could count. I am not your ange”, she enunciated each word. “If you think I’d take you back by showering me with sweet nothings – don’t you dare come here and – hello? Hello?” Fred cracked an eye open and saw Cheska staring at the phone. “The pig hung up on me.”

Cheska peered out the window as if anticipating a certain someone’s arrival. She glanced at him fleetingly and doubled back at seeing him awake.

“Good morning.” She smiled at Fred.

“Good morning”, he replied hoarsely, sitting up.

“Cheska”, a voice called from outside.

Merde!” Cheska’s eyes widened. “He’s here.” She edged away from the window.

“Pierre? What are you doing here?” Tony’s voice reached them.

“Where is she?” Pierre demanded.

“In the studio. Did she know you were coming?”

“Out of the way, Tony.”

“Answer me first.” Tony blocked the doorway.

“It’s five in the bloody morning. Keep it down will you?” Louis grumbled from the sofa. He turned on his side and saw the newcomer. “Who’re you?”

Pierre shoved his way in and headed for the studio.

With a sinking feeling, Cheska heard the door of her studio open. The man called her name again. He’s coming. What am I going to do? Her eyes darted to the door, then to Fred. An idea came to her. She sat beside him refusing to think beyond what needed to be done.

“Cheska?” Fred said, warily. Her mouth was set in a thin determined line though a hint of embarrassment showed through the pink tint staining her cheeks.

“How are you feeling?” Cheska asked, cupping his cheek. She kept her eyes lowered, refusing to meet Fred’s questioning gaze.

Bemused by her behaviour, he started to say, “Better, I—”

Without warning, she leaned forward and kissed him. Fred stiffened as her mouth moved against his. He pulled away only to realise that it was futile. His back touched the headboard. Cheska’s hand trembled as it moved to his jaw and neck. He suspected what her reasons were and tried not to take advantage of the situation. Fred stamped on the desire which coiled inside him. But her lips were soft against his. His control slipped when her teeth grazed his lower lip. Gently, he kissed her back. She was intoxicatingly sweet. His hand cradled the back of her neck while the other went to her waist, pulling her to him. The kiss deepened. Her arms went around his neck and her fingers tangled in his hair. Fred reluctantly pulled away. Their foreheads touched as they both caught their breath. He saw the rapid beat of Cheska’s pulse at her throat and knew she was affected as he was.