That's not a flame...

''Ok this time, it WILL work'', I said, trying to sound confident. Merlin sighed, "Well this is the last try because I can't keep putting out fires in here, remember you have to control it and keep it small". I nodded and held out a fist towards Merlin. "beo burnae", I whispered. I felt my eyes glow golden and slowly opened my hand. Resting on my palm was a small red stone. I groaned with exasperation. Merlin laughed, ''That's not a flame''. I stared at him and he stopped laughing and looked quite scared. I threw the stone away in anger and sat on Merlin's bed. He came and sat beside me. ''You will get it, you just have to keep practising'', he said. ''But I tried at least fifty times!'', I replied, ''Let's face it, I'm not exactly a natural....Are you sure you released my magic properly?''. Merlin feigned hurt, ''Of course I'm sure!'', he said, ''Now come on, our royal guests will be here soon''. He performed an elaborate mock bow before hurrying out the door.

I was standing with my chin in my hands and my elbows resting on the deep windowsill in the corridor outside Arthur's chambers. I now knew that Arthur was in fact Arthur, Crown Prince of Camelot (how very grand). Merlin was standing beside me and we were both staring out of the open window. Outside, as a grand carriage pulled up on the cobbled courtyard, a royal fanfare blared from the trumpets. ''So that is King Edwin?'' I asked. Merlin nodded as a middle aged man stepped from the carriage, "And by the looks of it he's brought his daughter, Princess Vivian with him", he added as a beautiful young woman in a glittering red dress followed the king. I looked down at my worn clothes and sighed. Merlin and I continued to watch the proceedings in silence as King Uther and Prince Arthur emerged to greet them.

Later that day when the visitors to Camelot had settled into the guest chambers, Merlin and Inwe were in Arthur's chambers, watching him despair over a letter that had been slipped under his door from his father. "It's not THAT bad'', said Merlin, reading over his shoulder. Arthur jerked back on his chair so violently that he nearly knocked the servant over. He turned to stare at him. ''Not...that...bad?!'', he said slowly and disbelievingly. Inwe nodded, ''There are worse people he could ask you to marry''. Arthur leant forward in his chair with a sigh,''That may be so but I'd mmuch rather marry someone for love, not for 'the good of the kingdom' ''. Suddenly the door behind them creaked. Arthur, Merlin and Inwe looked sharply behind them. Inwe thought she caught sight of a flash of red material disappearing as the door closed, but dismissed it as her imagination. Arthur leapt to his feet and jogged to the door, threw it open and scanned the corridor. There was no sign of anyone. Arthur felt movement behind him and turned to see Merlin and Inwe peering over his shoulder into the corridor. Arthur shrugged, ''Probably just a draft''. Merlin nodded, ''Come on then Inwe, we have work to be doing''. He gave her a meaningful look and her shoulders drooped. More magic - great.