Chapter Five

Reylor could barely look at Treyan.

They sat across from each other during their daily meeting with the Councillor, and while the old man droned on about the suns and their seasonal cycles, Reylor's thoughts could not escape the memory of his dream with the Empress.

The very thought of her could be treason and informing Treyan could mean worse.

This wasn't how things were supposed to be. The Empress was supposed to show herself to Treyan, and it was Treyan who was supposed to find her. Coming to Reylor, the mere second-born, was wrong. The consequences were far too great if anyone ever discovered his unintentional betrayal. It could put the entire Prophecy in jeopardy, or worse, the Empire as a whole.

Reylor was supposed to spend his life as his brother's right-hand advisor, supporting him, the Empress, and the Empire as they brought the Prophecy to fruition.

But could this dream mean that Reylor wanted something other than what was predestined for him? Did he truly want more?

Did he want her?

His knew his brooding had become obvious when he felt a hand on his shoulder and found Treyan standing beside him, a concerned look across his face. Looking around, the Councillor was nowhere to be seen, and Reylor hadn't even heard him take his leave.

"What's going on?" Treyan asked his troubled twin.

Forcing a smile, Reylor stood. "Nothing at all, why do you ask?"

"For starters, the celestial teachings are usually your favorite, and I haven't heard a word from you since you sat down."

"I suppose I'm just feeling unwell today—little sleep and otherwise indisposed," Reylor hedged. "In fact, I should most likely retire to my room for the rest of the day so as not to infect the rest of the palace."

He nodded to his brother as he turned to leave, but Treyan grabbed his arm to keep him in his place.

Rage flooded Reylor's body at the unnecessary touch. How dare Treyan try to stop him from doing what he wanted? He quickly turned to face him, a fire burning in his blue eyes.

"Let me go."

It was evident Treyan was taken aback by his brother's change in demeanor, but Reylor paid him no mind. "Don't ever stop me like that again, do you understand?"

Treyan peered at him as if trying to figure out if this was some sort of game. It was not a game to Reylor, and he maintained his stare.

Treyan put up his hands in defeat. "Fine, have it your way," he conceded with a hint of disappointment in his voice. He began to walk away from him without another word.

Reylor shook his head as if reawakening. "Treyan, wait—"

But before Reylor could apologize for his uncharacteristic outburst, Treyan waved him off and was out the door, leaving Reylor to reflect upon his actions in solitude.