Chapter 24. The Truth.

Aaron gives us our privacy, and we don't waste a minute.

"Why didn't you tell me that you were only trying to save my life?" He asks, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I didn't want you to find out what I am..." I explain, embarrassed and ashamed. I see the understanding in his face. We both knew that if I had told him I was a Death Eater earlier, things wouldn't be what they are now.

"You don't have to be this anymore. You can help us destroy him and be free," He encourages me, bringing his face closer to mine. I press my forehead against his, closing my eyes.

I wish it could be that easy.

"If there's one thing Voldemort hates more than a mudblood, it's a traitor. He'll go after me and kill me in a matter of seconds." I explain, "That's why I need to escape with my brother... The only way I can get out of this is if I never show my face again." I sadly tell him, though I feel like a coward.

Ron frowns and shakes his head.

"That isn't going to save you. He'll only go after you."

"I have no other choice. If I stay, he'll force me to murder those innocent people!" I raise my voice, in frustration. He places his hand on my cheek, tilting my face up to his, "Please, come with  me?" I suggest, looking directly into his eyes.

I see him considering it. My heart races as I see longing in his pale blue eyes. But, he quickly looks away, setting his mouth in a firm line.

"I can't; I've got to help Harry." He explains, quietly.

I admire his loyalty to his best friend. I wish I had a deep connection like that with somebody, anybody really...

"I understand, I assure him. I give him a half-smile and squeeze him tightly around the neck. He holds me tightly as well, feeling like he's holding onto me for dear life. "I've got to go before Aaron gets too far ahead," I look up at him. The green tint to the sky gives him a sick-look, and he has cuts all over his face, but he still manages to be handsome. "Please, be careful," I warn him, before breaking from his arms.

Out of his warm body, my body feels bare and cold. He holds onto my hand, not wanting to let me go; I don't want to drop his hand either.

"Bombarda!"

A voice shouts and an explosion erupts beneath my feet. Ron's hand gets ripped apart from mine as we go flying in different directions. I slam against a tree trunk, getting the air sucked from my lungs. As I slowly move, a sharp pain sears across my side; probably a broken rib...

But, I ignore the immense pain spreading through my body as I get up, using the tree as help. I wipe the blood that is trailing from my mouth and pull out my wand.

A few feet away, I hear Ron moaning in pain.

"Ron," I try to call out, but it just comes out as a wheeze. I cling onto the trees as I make my way closer to where Ron is.

I squint to see in the darkness. I think I see Ron standing there, but the dark silhouette standing there appears much shorter than I remember Ron standing. I take another weak step forward and the figure whips around, pointing their wand at me.

I stand in horror as Draco glares at me, his wand ready to attack and his foot pressed on Ron's chest. Ron is gushing blood from his leg. He has his eyes closed and is panting heavily.

"How long were you planning on keeping your and Weasley's secret affair from me? Until after we were married?" He spits at me, pressing more weight on Ron's sternum. Ron coughs loudly as breathing becomes more difficult.