Chapter 5.

"Narcissa, she isn't a child. There's no need to baby her." A harsh voice hisses.

My eyes flutter open and I have to squint to see in the candle-lit room. The only thing I feel is the painfully dry desert that has taken over my throat.

I open my mouth to ask for water, but all I can accomplish is a chorus of coughs.

"Biddy, water, please." Narcissa snaps her fingers at their house elf.

The small creature quickly leaves our sight.

"How are you feeling, dear?" She asks me, coming to my bedside.

"She's fine," Lucius says for me.

That doesn't reassure her, for concern is still taking over her pale face. All I can do is nod, knowing my vocal chords won't work until my thirst is quenched.

Even though I'm nice and toasty underneath the comfortable blankets, my body shivers. I clamp my jaw shut, to be sure my teeth don't chatter.

Their house elf, Biddy, returns with a tray. I eye up the water pitcher, not being able to wait for the cool water to be running down my throat. He pours me a glass and I'm forced to take my hands out from under the blanket, to grip the cup.

A slight gasp releases from my mouth when I lay eyes on my left arm. Taking up my arm, from wrist to inner-elbow, is a tattoo. Not just any tattoo. The Dark Mark. A serpent is protruding from the mouth of a skull. I look at the tattoo in fear, as You-know-who's face comes crashing into my mind.

I take the cup from the elf and quickly guzzle it down. I feel my body release tension as I drink the ice cold water. I finish the entire glass in a matter of seconds.

"More, miss?" He asks as I hand him the glass back.

"No, thank-you." I shake my head, sitting upright in bed. I look down and realize I'm no longer in my silk dress. Instead I'm dressed in a short, cotton nightie.

"How long was I asleep for?" I ask, politely, looking to Narcissa. She looks as if I interrupted her collecting her thoughts.

"Two days," She answers. My eyes widen. Is that a usual side-effect of receiving the Dark Mark?

"And Draco?" I ask, trying to be casual. My gut actually feels worry, which is a very strange feeling.

"Draco woke up earlier this morning. He's already asleep," She explains, smiling at me.

"Narcissa, I'd like a word with Alice, please," Lucius speaks up, coming to my bedside.

"Certainly," She nods, getting up. "I'm going to bed. I will see you in the morning, Alice." She tells me before leaving.

I look to Lucius, waiting for him to speak. I have not the slightest idea if he is happy about me becoming a Death Eater. At dinner, it seemed to me that he just wanted Voldemort's suggestion as to what to do with me.

"It has come to my realization that Draco failed to inform you about the ceremony on Friday night, beforehand. Is that correct?" He asks.

"Draco told me that there were going to be important people at the dinner, sir. But, he did not explain any further." I answer, honestly.

I could lie to him for Draco, but I don't want to see the consequences if he found out I was lying.

He nods, expecting that answer.

"And, you do understand the honor that comes along with this responsibility? You'll forever be remembered for helping restore the pure-blood standard of the wizarding world." He tells me, taking great pride in the supremacy that we're all a part of.