Chapter Twelve

AN: Hello! Welcome to the final chapter of Hadley's journey! I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. I thank you for forgiving my date mix-ups, and know the year they are in currently is 2258. I'm going to write a novella/sequel mix after I'm finished with this one, so be sure and check it out once it's out! I hope you enjoy the final chapter! It's short, sweet, and to the point.

————————————————————————-

Wow what a light!

Wait.

Light?

I was dead. It was bright, like staring into a hospital light for too long. I didn't feel anything after that. It was just dark. Like a comfortable sleep.

Okay, that hurt a little.

Was it possible to hurt from every inch of my body? That's how I felt about now. Wasn't death supposed to be somewhat peaceful? This wasn't peace, this was.. Oh no, I was in hell. Dammit! How'd I end up in hell?

I was confused. I thought hell was supposed to hurt more, and wasn't there supposed to be... Flames? No, not hell. If I wasn't in hell then where was I? In Limbo? Lost in translation? Inception? Maybe another universe? Or was the impossible actually possible? Was I alive? Alive. Alive. Alive. That's what I wanted. I also didn't want the hope to disappear if I was in fact not alive. But I didn't really think that if I was dead I would feel so alive.

So I did the rational thing. I opened my eyes.

Ouch. Bad idea. Earth hospitals always had the huge windows, and the sun was out, shining wide and bright over the west. San Fancisco. My eyes shut again, burning with the brightness. I was dead! I knew I was dead. I welcomed it. The last moment of my life I remembered dying. Oh shoot. Was I reborn? I started giggling, feeling intense pain in my stomach. I held it, cringing. Of course you weren't reborn, stupid! To make sure this was true, I timidly touched my face. Alive.

"Leonard? Astrid?" My voice. Oh Lord. I was a different person. I had the deepest voice right now. Taking in my surroundings, I saw a cot across from my bed. A sleeping figure was in it, his back to me. I recognized the dress uniforms of Starfleet, and figuring it wasn't Bones because he got out of that as soon as possible, I knew it was Spock.

Taking another look around, I dawned on a red liquid on my nightstand, and grabbed it. Taking a drink, I tried to not gag. This was nothing of this world. My throat wasn't so dry though, and it felt like I was just sucking on cotton balls instead of shoving a white hot iron down it.

"Spock!" I croaked, setting the cup to the side. "Commander Spock!" I tried to speak louder, but I felt too weak.

Oh please, not the weakness again. I needed to talk to him though, he always answered my questions truthfully. He was a lot like my sister. So how do you wake up a Vulcan? Scare him, of course. Locating the wires attached to my chest, I gripped tightly and pulled. The heart monitor exploded with sound, informing everybody within in 30 mile radius that my heart had stopped. Shit. I didn't know it was going to be this loud. The Vulcan jumped up quicker than any human could, standing at the foot of my bed with a horrifed expression on his face. I held the wires up, blushing madly. I was holding the wires like a child caught in the act of stealing cookies from the jar.

"Whoops?" I put them back on quickly, and the machine stopped screaming.

About 20 people poured into the room at once, shoving Spock out of the way and surrounding around the bed. They were fussing, patting on me and checking all the wires. I was annoyed, like before when everybody was crying around me. Bones shoved past everybody, his face unshaven and bags under his eyes. He was holding a small cup of coffee, and dropped it when he saw my eyes opened. It splashed all over the floor, making nurses and doctors jump back.