Four: Fighting For What Matters

Parker

It had been weeks since my parents had given me the ultimatum; weeks since I broke the news to Madalynne; and weeks since she had even allowed me to see her, much less speak to her. I had spent the better part of the two weeks holed up in my room, in sweats, eating junk food, playing video games, and being downright miserable. I had probably showered twice in that two week period. The only thing, or should I say person, who really kept me going and showed me a light was Jacqueline. Talking to her was the only bright thing in those dark weeks.

Eventually though, even she couldn’t stand to talk to me, and even begged me to talk to Madalynne. After much prodding, she convinced me that I couldn’t let this go on any longer. So, after too much time, I climbed in the shower, shaved the gnarly beard and mustache I had began growing, and brushed my teeth. I even sprayed myself with her favorite cologne of mine, hoping she wouldn’t be able to resist me, before calling her mother and finding out she had left without word as to where she was headed. Maddy thought she could outsmart everyone, but she had forgotten about me.

When I had finally arrived to the familiar spot at Bush Park, I breathed a sigh of relief when I caught a glimpse of Madalynne propped against a tree, eyes closed. I didn’t want to disturb her, but I had to see her before I left; the shortness in her voice cutting me deep with every syllable she threw at me. I winced at the anger in her voice, approaching her slowly at first, before beginning to stroke her face softly with the back of my hand. I watched as she closed her eyes, a smile forming at the sides of her lips, pressing into it.

Not wanting to waste a moment, I traced Madalynne’s lips lightly with my thumb. I felt her twitch from my touch which only excited me more. I lowered my lips to hers, not being able to resist her, sure that I was going to regret it…but she did something that surprised me in that moment, she actually kissed me back. I couldn’t contain my longing for her any longer. Every inch of me was aching for her, my mouth traveling to every inch of skin she had exposed; I had her gasping for breath, while I smiled on the inside.

I never denied the attraction I had for Madalynne and her for me. It was this insane connection and undeniable bond. I was half way convinced we weren’t going to be able to stop, and we were going to go all the way, out here, in public. The adrenaline turned me on even more, but before my fantasy could even begin, I felt Madalynne push me away.

“Parker…please,” she began, without finishing, barely being able to look me in the eyes.
I didn’t understand; I asked her why she was doing this, my anger taking over, in the heat of the moment. I asked her why she was making such a big deal over a couple of months when we both knew full well we had survived four long years together.

Time was everything to her. I was her pillar of support and in her eyes if I left she would be crippled. I understood why she was sad; I understood her reason for crying; but it didn’t mean it made it any easier. My heart broke a little more with every tear that rolled down her cheek.

Her suggestion was time apart, and although that was the furthest thing from what I wanted, there was no changing her mind on the subject. We agreed that after I returned from Basic we would reconvene about our relationship.

My abrupt departure had not been intended. But it was difficult to know she was willing to walk away from everything we had built; our foundation so easily. It tore my heart right out of my chest.
*************************************************************************************
It was the day after everything had gone down with Madalynne. I was still reeling from the fact that I was going to be leaving for Basic for a couple of months with no contact to the outside world other than snail mail; not only was I going to be losing Madalynne, I was also going to be losing Jacqueline. Talk about cosmic synergy.