Three: Safe and Sound in His Arms

Madalynne

“So have you figured out what your plan is yet? I mean, after we graduate?” My best friend Kendall Walker asked. We were sprawled out on my bed, eating popcorn, reading magazines, and listening to the new Ke$ha cd.

I shook my head no, discouraged. “I want to help people I know that.”

After my brother Mason had been killed in Lebanon, it had left me in a deep, dark depression. I didn’t want to look to the future when my best friend had been stolen from mine, prematurely.

I became bitter, resentful, downright a pain to be around. But Parker wouldn’t give up; showing up to my house nearly every day with my homework and food. He was the one bright thing in my dark life. He brought me back to life. The only thing I hadn’t needed to contemplate for my end game was him.

“Well you need to start sending out applications soon Maddy, or you’re going to miss the deadlines,” my friend warned.

I nodded back, without looking at her. “Can we change subjects please?”

“Sure…so, your four year anniversary is coming up! Tell me you are finally going to do it!” My best friend Kendall Walker squealed, her blond curls bouncing up and down. She was referring to losing my virginity to Parker on our anniversary.

“I don’t know,” I replied honestly.

Kendall immediately stopped flipping through the magazine at the end of my bed and sat up, inching closer, “so you’re telling me you’ve made the poor sucker wait almost four years…and you might make him wait longer?”

I shrugged my shoulders. “I know what you’re thinking,” I glanced at her. “You’re thinking I’m crazy to be so close to him for so long and not…want him.” Saying the words made me blush.

“Did you forget I was the one who had to suffer through your endless Parker rants all throughout elementary school, and then even middle school?” She glared at me.

No I hadn’t forgotten how long I had dreamed, wanted, and lusted for Parker. I remembered every single word he spoke to me, I kept records of every single text message, every single email. I wanted to be able to go back to any of it and instantly be reminded of the person I had thought with every inch of my being was my soul mate.

But I wanted our first time to be magical. I wanted to make sure I was ready—we were ready. I never wanted to take one moment for granted with Parker. That’s why I vowed constantly to let him know how I felt, everyday as I felt it.

I sat up as well, and then decided I would rather stand. “Does it hurt?” I asked Kendall, anxiously.

“It’s more of an uncomfortable feeling. You shouldn’t have so much riding on the first time you know.” She laid back down to flip through the pages of her magazine. “It’s the times after that make it all worth it.”
****************************************************************************************
Our four year anniversary had finally arrived, and Parker had planned out all the festivities. He hadn’t let me in on any of it, of course. All I knew was that when I had arrived home from school, Parker had called to make sure I would be ready to go within an hour.

I wore a dress I had bought especially for this occasion. It was mid-thigh, and black, grey, and white. I dressed it up with a black shawl and silver jewelry. My make-up resembled a smoky eye, which really complimented my hazel eyes and long, curly, dark brown locks. In other words, I was stunning.

When Parker showed up at my doorstep, he was nothing short of exquisite. His brown dark hair, almost black, was styled perfectly, along with his black, button-down collared shirt and slacks.