Chapter 17

“Who’s the new girl?” ask a group of football players who are huddled near the drinking fountain. “I don’t know but she’s hot,” says the one with the broad shoulders. The three of them continue to stare as Agnes walks through the halls of Prince High, drawing the attention of every boy on campus and even a few of the girls. Her long brown hair flies through the air with every step and her black dress fits snugly against her now curvaceous body. She can thank the push up bra for that. She stops to apply some lip- gloss and continues towards her first class. All eyes are on her, as she no longer has keep away written all over her face.

“Is that Agnes Bumgarner?” asks another one of the football players. “Agnes Who?” says the player to his right” “You know, frump girl.” “Can’t be.” “Wow, frump girl got hot.” Agnes walks over to the football players, brushes back her hair and says to the tall broad shouldered boy “It’s Raven.” “What?” “My name’s Raven. Now be a dear and sign my petition for Prom Queen.” “The football player is speechless. He signs without even looking at the piece of paper. He is too caught up in Raven’s voluptuous appearance to care.

Agnes puts the petition back into her purse and bends over to take a sip from the drinking fountain, her short dress giving the boys a glimpse of her thong panties. She continues down the hall and sees Melody flirting with Billy near the lockers. Agnes walks over towards them, pushes Melody into the lockers and gives Billy a kiss on the cheek. “You’re a cute boy. Too bad you aren’t a little bit smarter,” says Agnes patting Billy twice on the cheek. “Ugh” says Melody “Who was that?” “I think that was Agnes.” “No way. That’s not possible.”

It’s only minutes into the school day and Agnes loves it already. Her new look has given her a new found confidence and for once boys are noticing her. Agnes still knows that deep down personality outweighs looks by a long shot but personality isn’t going to get her a date to the high school prom. She walks by a group of nerds on the other side of the hall as if they aren’t even there. By the end of the day she will be popular, even if it means putting down people that don’t really deserve it.

Just before she enters Mr. Klein’s history class she hears two people yelling the word “Sellout” at her. She sees Sam and Melinda out of the corner of her eye. Sam is wearing another lame band tee shirt and Melinda is in desperate need of a makeover and maybe a two-month food free diet. Angered at their comments Agnes walks up to Sam, looks at his tee shirt and says, “No one has ever heard of that band. They probably suck just like you.” She then turns to Melinda and says “You know it couldn’t hurt to lay off the doughnuts once in awhile.”

Agnes enters Mr. Klein’s class and he begins roll call. “Agnes Bumgarner.” “It’s Raven.” “Ok. Raven” says Mr. Klein, a little bit confused. Agnes sits at her desk and twirls a strand of her hair between two of her freshly manicured fingernails and doesn’t even bother to take her history book from her backpack. She is relaxed, feeling on top of the world, drawing puzzling looks from everyone in the class. Even Mr. Klein can’t stop staring at the new Agnes. Raven. She can see a bulge in his pants indicating a slight erection. Agnes giggles, surprised that old man Klein could still get it up.

Brianna and Raine can’t even take their eyes off of Agnes, not sure how she has gone from frump girl to hottie overnight. Brianna feeling slightly intimidated by Agnes’s good looks bites her fingernails even more ferociously than usual. Raine begins sketching a picture of Agnes running away from a frumpy girl and into the arms of a beautiful one. She then draws a circle with a line though it as if it were a no smoking sign and in red letters she writes “Once Ugly. Always Ugly.” Raine takes a cigarette lighter from her bag and burns the edge of the paper, making sure Agnes sees her act of debauchery.

The truth is Agnes would have been upset at Raine’s actions, probably would have even ran off and hid in her usual stall, crying her eyes out, but not Raven. Raven is tough, thick skinned and doesn’t let petty people like Raine or any other member of the self proclaimed blonde wolf pack to torment her. Raven is a winner, Raven is beautiful, self-confident and for lack of a better word manipulative. Mess with Raven and she will get revenge, and it will come at a time you least expect it.