Chapter Thirty Six

Ryan Callan breathed a sigh of relief when he saw Dane and Mike come down on the platform with TeeJay. Thank god, they were safe, he hadn't really been able to believe it until he saw them with his own eyes. He could hardly wait until he could finish up here and take them both upstairs to the room he had been quick to reserve in advance, as soon as he had heard that everyone would have to retreat underground. He should probably feel guilty that a lot of other people would have to bed down on the floor, but he didn't. There had to be some perks in being the Governor! 

He wanted them all to sit down together and talk about what had happened. He didn't want Dane and Mike to take out any more hurt feelings on each other. They were each sitting at opposite ends of the bar but he managed to drop a quick word to each of them. "We need to talk. Room 304 upstairs, I've booked it just for us." 

It was getting late. A hard core group was settling in for the night in front of the bar, prepared to drink the hours away until they heard the 'all clear'. Serra Yoshida was ushering those who wanted to sleep, upstairs to rooms which they would have to share. A few people complained until Serra Yoshida advised them politely that they were quite welcome to decline her offer and spend the night sitting up in the bar if they chose. 

At last, everything was sorted as much as it could be and Ryan thought he could safely retire for the night having fulfilled his duty. He'd have to keep his wristcom active of course, in case of any developments, but with a bit of luck he wouldn't be needed for a couple of hours yet. 

He looked around for Mike and Dane. Neither of them were where they had been only minutes before. Where were they? He scanned the room, only a little worried until he saw them disappearing together upstairs. Now anxious, he turned to follow, but his arm was caught by Ser Keating seeking reassurance again that everything that could possibly be done, was being done. He could scarcely concentrate on what the other man was saying. His thoughts were all with the other two upstairs. He had to get up there before either of them did something unforgivable. 

Mike followed Dane into the room Callan had booked. He didn't know if he was doing the right thing or not, but he couldn't say 'no'. He undressed silently and got onto the bed. 

Dane knew it would be a mistake to have sex with Mike when he was angry and hurting, but ... he did it anyway. As soon as he had finished, he left him lying there and got up, went into the bathroom and shut the door. 

He stood there, looking into the mirror without seeing anything. Well he'd got what he wanted, Mike had got what he deserved. He should be feeling pretty satisfied with himself, right? But he wasn't. He felt cold. He washed his face, he wasn't crying, not really. He was certain Mike would be gone when he came out. 

It seemed like an hour passed before Callan could finally break away from Ser Keating. He raced upstairs, his heart in his mouth, please god he would be in time. He burst into the room to find Mike alone, getting dressed. 

"Don't go! Please." 

"Why? Do you want to fuck me too?" asked Mike, that brittle look back in his eyes. 

Ryan went straight up to him and took his face tenderly in his hands. "I'd love to, but maybe another time. Right now, all I want is for you to stay with me." He stroked his hair back gently from his face and dropped a feather light kiss on his lips. 

Mike hesitated. Callan started taking his own clothes off, as quickly as he could. "Come to bed and just hold me while we talk, we don't have to do anything else, I promise." 

Mike bit his bottom lip but didn't move. At least he had stopped putting his clothes back on. 

"Please." Callan was naked now, except for his briefs. He kept them on. He lay down on the bed and patted the spot next to him.  

Mike shut his eyes tightly for a second. The last decision he had made had been a disaster. Far from being a reconciliation, Dane hadn't kissed him, he'd scarcely even touched him except where he had to. Could he risk being hurt again, this time by Ryan? True, Ryan didn't seem angry, but could he trust him? One thing was certain, if he walked out now, he'd never get another chance to find out. He took another look at Ryan, lying there waiting hopefully for him to make up his mind, then he got into bed, pulling the covers up over both of them. 

Callan wanted to grab him tightly and pull him into his arms but he held off. Instead, he stroked his hair for a moment as he turned to face him. "I'm not blaming anyone or making excuses for that matter, but I think you need to know, your words cut Dane into pieces. He might give the impression of being tough as plasfoam, but he's not. It's just camouflage." 

Mike's eyes were wide open, staring into Callan's.  

"You are both complicated men." Callan smiled at him, "I, on the other hand, am a very simple man. I just say what I feel. I love you, both of you, so much. I'd love you to hold me, but only if you want to." 

Mike went into his arms. 

When Dane came out, that was what he saw. Ryan and Mike in bed together, as entwined as if they were one person. He tried to swallow the lump in his throat. This is what he had thrown away, Mike would never want him now, and probably neither would Ryan once he knew what he had just done. His heart barely had time to sink into the floor before Mike turned towards him. Mike saw the hint of redness around his eyes, despite his attempts to hide the fact that he'd been crying. Still gripping Ryan against his side, he held out his other arm to Dane.  

"I'm sorry." 

Suddenly the wall of ice which had formed around Dane shattered into a thousand pieces. "I'm sorry too," he gulped. "Are you sure?" he asked, looking at Ryan as well. 

"I've never been so sure of anything in my life."  

In less than a second Dane was in bed with them, Mike in the middle, all of them hugging and kissing as if they could never get enough of each other. 

"We've got to talk," murmured Ryan, faintly.  

"Later," gasped Mike. Was that Ryan's hand or Dane's inside his briefs? 

"Shh." Dane whispered and kissed him again.