Chapter Twenty Nine

Lieutenant Oliver winced at the mention of Chang's name. He hadn't told Spier about their relationship, nor even the fact that the dead man was not 'Chang' but a colleague. 

And the longer he left it, the worse it would get. He felt caught between a rock and a hard place. It was too late to mention it casually now, he would have to rely on Chang's obsession with secrecy to keep their connection hidden. Despite his need to see his father again, he would have to wait until after this affair was resolved, because any contact between them now could be disastrous. 

As the day went on with no new developments, Oliver found his mind drifting back to the events of the previous night. He couldn't help wondering what Dane and Ryan thought now of their night together. At the time, they had all been totally caught up in the moment, but now ... had second thoughts started to creep in? After that first kiss with Ryan, he had taken control, doing exactly what he wanted with each man ... he looked down hurriedly to hide the grin that had suddenly appeared on his face. 

He was pretty sure Dane would be fine, with his more cavalier attitude to sex, but he was a bit worried Ryan might be feeling uncomfortable. He remembered how nervous he had been at the start. He tried not to feel guilty, they were all consenting adults he told himself, but he would drop in and see Ryan when he was free, check how he was. Then he paused, had the other two men returned to Asra, or were they were still at the Galaxy? 

A quick call to the hotel had him smiling again. They were both there, booked in for another night. In the same room. He tried to calm down, just because they were still there didn't mean they wanted him to join them again tonight. After all, once was fun, but twice was, what ... indulgent? 

Yeah, indulgent. He spoke sternly to himself. He was a Patrol Lieutenant, and not only that, he was the Officer in charge on Asra, he had to think of his position. Be restrained and dignified. 

Who was he kidding? If they invited him, he'd be in there like a shot. Take full advantage of this amazing opportunity. Once they were all back on Asra unfortunately, it would be a different matter. 

XXX 

Cutter Levi climbed awkwardly into the space suit. It was a long time since he'd had to use one. It was just as uncomfortable as he remembered. Once again, he checked the flexible chain which would keep him tethered to the space ship once he went outside, making sure it was securely attached. Naturally he was wearing magnetised boots which would anchor him to the ship as soon as he activated the mechanism, but given the storms which frequently swirled around Asra he wasn't taking any chances. He needed a safety line, just in case he lost contact. 

He focussed intently on the package between his hands, placing it carefully into the carry compartment of the suit so that it nestled securely against his chest, leaving both hands free. He ran through the procedures again in his head. Once he got outside he would have to act fast, there would be no time to think about what to do next. For his own safety, it would be best to complete the job in as near to five minutes as possible. The longer he stayed out there, the more chance there was of being caught up in a squall. The tether was guaranteed to work under the 'toughest circumstances' but Cutter wasn't convinced the manufacturers had been thinking about nitrogen storms when they made the claim.  

He didn't allow himself to think of what would happen, once he had placed the package. It wasn't his problem. 

XXX 

It was late that night before Oliver was free to return to the Galaxy. Captain Spier had invited him out to dinner with the rest of the team and he had felt obliged to accept, despite his personal desire to race back to the hotel as fast as he could.  

Would Dane and Ryan be waiting for him? His heart beat faster in anticipation. He checked his wristcom but there were no messages. Perhaps they were waiting for him to initiate the next contact. He sent a simple question to them both as he strode along. "Can I come up again?" That should be clear enough, surely? 

As he made his way up to his room, he checked his wristcom for the third time. Still no reply. Had they given up on him and fallen asleep? Or even worse, what if one or both of them had taken the opportunity to go out and sample the local night life? Not that it was really any of his business, Oliver tried to be rational, but ... he really didn't know what he would do, if he went up to their room and found they had someone else in there. 

Fortunately for his good mood, at that moment Ryan flashed an answer on his wristcom. "Oh yeah!"  

Mike was still smiling as he changed hastily into his favourite black civvies and raced up the stairs. He flashed his ID outside the suite. Ryan opened the door with no hesitation this time, dressed once again in nothing but the fluffy white hotel robe. Instantly, Mike felt his body responding. There was something about Ryan in that robe, something that made him want to unwrap it and play with what was inside. 

He restricted himself to a brief kiss however, before looking around the apartment. "Where's Dane?" he asked a little anxiously. 

"In the shower," said Ryan, moving closer. "I've already had mine." He didn't know if he could wait for Dane to come out, he wanted to kiss Mike again right now, but properly this time. Mouth to mouth, tongue against tongue. 

Mike's eyes heated, the image of Dane's wet, naked body flashing before him. "Do you think he'd mind if we joined him?" He was pulling his clothes off as he spoke. 

Ryan tore his gaze away from Mike's lean body to look at his face. "Let's go in and ask," he said, unfastening his robe. 

"Is there room in there for three?" 

"There is if we take turns," answered Ryan with a provocative smile.