Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve 

Oliver had fully intended to circulate around the bar and introduce himself to the patrons but he found himself sitting next to Dane, sipping a Burran ale and not feeling like moving at all. Trenwith was an entertaining companion, pointing out the people he thought Oliver should know and telling scandalous stories about them. Oliver wasn't sure how much the other man was exaggerating but he was certainly getting an interesting perspective on the Asran elite. 

"That's Terry White in the red shirt, the Poseidon under manager who arranged the Hummer for us. He has a wife and two children on Burra and, rumour has it, a very expensive mistress on Capella. The wife doesn't want to move here because of the kids and he's happy because that gives him more freedom to spend time with the mistress. I hear he works a lot of overtime," Trenwith grinned, then shook his head. "One of these days his wife is going to ask where all those credits have gone and he'll be screwed." 

"Who's the man he's talking to? In the black singlesuit?" Oliver had noticed the older man because he was the only person in the bar wearing formal clothes, in fact the sort of clothes he would have expected the governor to wear, before he met him. 

"Ser Paul Keating, manager of Tinto mining. That's the second biggest concern on Asra after Poseidon." Dane explained. 

"Anything to tell me about him?" Oliver asked expectantly. 

Dane flashed him an odd glance before he shook his head. "Nothing, Ser Keating's whole life is the business. The worst I've heard about him is that he spends too much time in the office, not enough getting out and about and meeting people!" he grinned at Oliver, then drained his glass. "Can I get you another ale?"  

The server had just put their fresh glasses on the counter in front of them when they heard a cheerful voice from behind, "Lieutenant. Dane. Can I join you?" and before Dane could react, Callan was dragging a stool up to sit between them. 

Dane took in the fact that Ryan was dressed to the hilt without blinking, at least with his eyes. Ha! So much for his assumed indifference. He'd bet a month's pay that Ryan had been all set to ask Oliver out on a date tonight. Too bad, he'd got in first. When would Ryan just accept the fact that he, Dane, was always going to be the better player, that he simply didn't possess that required streak of ruthlessness? Although he had to admit that when he had seen Oliver's tired eyes over the console, he had forgotten he was there to play off Ryan and had just asked him out for his own sake.  

In fact he had been enjoying Oliver's company more than he had expected. With that night black hair, dark grey eyes and milk chocolate skin over fine features he looked good enough to eat. A fling with him would certainly be no hardship! Smiling, he made way for Ryan. 

Oliver was politely making room on the other side, "Of course sir." 

"For god's sake stop calling me sir," snapped Callan before he could control himself. Damn, that hadn't been exactly cool and laid back, he needed to get a firmer grip on his emotions. He cleared his throat and ventured a smile instead, "Couldn't you call me Ryan? Or Callan if you prefer, at least when you're off duty?" 

"Yes sir, I mean ... Callan," Oliver answered uncomfortably. He wasn't quite sure where he stood with the governor. After their extremely unconventional introduction where Callan had kissed him and he'd thrown him to the ground, it was hard to get back on a more normal footing! He knew the governor wanted to be friendly but he also suspected he wanted more than that. And it just wasn't going to happen. Not while they were both in their respective positions and especially not while Callan was under suspicion. 

A little voice whispered that Trenwith was under suspicion too but that hadn't stopped him from accepting his invitation to go out.  

He squirmed inside but it was true, much as he tried to deny it, he fancied Dane. If things had been different he would have considered making a pass, even though he had few illusions about him. If Dane accepted, which was by no means certain, he knew it would only be for the sex, until the next man he fancied came along. Not that sex was a bad thing mind you, not if that was all both of you wanted. Maybe when this case was wrapped up, and Trenwith and Callan absolved from any wrong doing he could reconsider ... 

He looked up and caught the governor in the middle of checking him out. Their eyes met. Callan turned away smoothly towards the bar as if that had been his intention all along and ordered an ale for himself. Only a faint touch of colour on his cheeks betrayed him. Unexpectedly, Oliver found his own pulse beating a little faster. 

Trenwith was studying both of them, his eyes going from one to the other, a smile on his lips. Oliver wondered whether the smile was a fraction forced, but maybe he was just imagining things. He took a sip of his ale. He was pretty sure he should finish his drink and make a polite departure, but ... he didn't think he was going to. 

XXX 

Ser Keating eyed the group of three across the room with suspicion. What was going on? What was the Lieutenant doing there with Callan, and Trenwith?  

He hoped Callan could keep his mouth shut. This deal was too important to risk any interference at this stage. If Chang could deliver what he had promised, Tinto would be set, set to rival some of the bigger companies. Not only would they have priority access to the processing plant in Kilkenny, a rather rundown suburb of Kapunda, but Chang, in whose territory it was located, would guarantee their safe passage to and from the plant. No more attempts at hijacking. No more sabotage and intimidation. All Tinto had to do was agree and sign the contract. The weekly payment for Chang's protection was included in the price. After years of fighting off attackers and paying for armed security, the cost of Chang's services was worth every credit as far as Keating was concerned. 

Some people might call it protection, Keating preferred to think of it as security. After all who was he hurting? Tinto was getting the benefit of a safe, reliable environment for processing their raw minerals and Chang was getting paid for providing it. The only people missing out were the thieves and gangs who had been launching the attacks and harassment. 

However, he was only too well aware that if the Patrol found out, they would be outraged. The Patrol would consider that Tinto was guilty of being complicit in an act of extortion, paying protection money to a street gang. If Lieutenant Oliver, for example, discovered the proposed arrangement, he would feel obliged to interfere and very likely ruin the whole deal.