chapter twelve

"Wow Mel, this place is fancy. What's the occasion?" Serena looks around in awe, her eyes childishly wide.

"Um... Just 'cause?" You say, making sure that this place is the one Winnie mentioned Dean was taking her to while she gushed about her first boyfriend, the fuckboy.

"Okay...?" She frowns a little at your lack of care. This is an expensive restaurant, and she wants you to pay more attention to her, which you can't do at the moment because your best friend is in possible danger and you have to confirm that she'll be okay tonight.

While the waitress seats you, you keep your eyes peeled for the princess and the sleaze. And there they are, seated across the restaurant. You have a full view of them.

Winnie and Dean sit across from each other in a booth. Dean's ordered a whiskey (bad sign bad sign) and sweet, sweet Winnie's ordered a water. Okay, well, that situation looks safe for now, but that could change at any time. They're talking right now- actually, Dean's doing most of the talking and Winnie's hanging off his every word- but for the moment no one is in immediate danger.

"Mel? No offense, but why'd you pick this place?"

"Hmm?" You remove your gaze from the 'happy' couple to look at your actual girlfriend, who seems confused and mildly annoyed.

"It's a sushi restaurant. And yeah, they have a couple vegetarian options, but they're not great, if you get what I'm saying."

"Oh," and shit, you don't have an excuse for this, "uh, Marco recommended it to me! Yeah!" You pat yourself on the back for the quick thinking.

Serena's uncertainty only heightens. "Isn't Marco allergic to seafood?"

Fuck. Well, that worked for all of ten seconds. "Yeah, he is, but he heard from, uh, Izzy! Yeah, he heard from Izzy that this place is really good, and I figured hey, try everything once?" Real smooth, Melanie.

Serena still doesn't look convinced.

You ignore her for now, tuning your ears to try and hear a conversation between Winnie and Dean.

"-and I just think that you could let it go, you know? Go with the moment?"

"I don't know," she wrinkles her nose, "I don't think-"

"Oh, come on! Like, you could just stop being a fucking stuck up bitch and enjoy yourself instead of complaining so goddamn much."

"Yeah," she nods thoughtfully, "yeah, I guess you're right."

Oh my fucking God, you want to kill him.

You're gripping the table, you're knuckles are going white, and you're pissed as hell and practically seething with rage.

Goddamn Dean Terrence making Winnie feel bad.

But before you can jump up, before you can stroll across the room, throttle the boy across from your best friend, and save her from the embodiment of human scum, Serena clears her throat.

"Mels? The waiter would like to take our order." She looks at you expectantly, brows raised.

Shit.

This might be a smidge harder than you thought it'd be.

________________________________