chapter twenty

"Winnie?" You've been back for a week and a half but today is the first day Winnie actually looks happy. Her shoulders are back and she's not slumping and it's a refreshing change of pace but it's been so long since you've seen her like this that it makes you wonder what changed.

"I'm going to quit my job today," she says, big beaming grin still stuck to her face. It's like she's telling a joke with red eyes and a broken heart; it doesn't make a lick of sense to you.

"What?" You furrow your brows and Winnie repeats herself.

"I'm going to quit my job toda-"

"Yeah, no, I heard you the first time, but... no offense, sweetheart, but that doesn't sound like something you'd do."

She looks slightly hurt. "What, am I not strong enough?"

You run a hand through your hair. "No, it's just... You're a very... Sensitive person."

She furrows her brows. "What's that supposed to mean?"

You gesture to her. "This is what I mean."

"Oh... Huh."

"Yeah."

She rolls her shoulders. "Well, I'm going to do it. Eff Lawrence and his stupid band, you know."

Ah, and we're back to the no cussing thing. Cute.

Though it is true that Lawrence York, the lead singer of the Leviathans, needs to be taken down about a hundred and two million pegs. He thinks he's the shit because he's 'hot' and has a fake British accent.

"Then I'll help you." Wait, what?

"You will?" Winnie brightens up immediately.

And how can you refuse that face? "Yeah, of course. We're besties, right?"

Winnie nods rapidly and links your pinkies.

"Always," she smiles.

________________________________

"You can't tell him, Kam."

"Link, I'm not going to tell him."

"I swear to God, Kam-"

"Chill, Link. I won't tell Joey."

"Promise?"

"Cross my heart and hope to die."

"Thought you didn't have a heart...?

"Wow."

"Sorry! Sorry, I-"

"Link, it's all good, quit stressing."

"Sorry."

"Lincoln Caise."

"Kamila Tivoli-DeLuca."

"If you apologize one more time, I'm going to gut you like a motherfucking fish."

"Kam?"

"Link?"

"Sorry."