Chapter 3 - The Reckoning

The street light continued to flicker ominously as Donna began to cower away , her every instinct screamed  at her to run , but she knew that she daren’t take her eyes off the creature;  not even for that. Her heart hammered hard in her chest , the drum of it  echoing in her mind. That sound, so familiar to her; resonating with some  buried memory . Then just as the street light flickered out with a sigh, there was a burst of intense white light  that hurt her eyes. Donna yelped with pain  and then sweet oblivion…..  

The Doctor had set a course just above the Earth circling around and around in an effort to  keep watch . From his view point he could see them ; the gun metal grey star ship; looming ominously above the Earth. His mind worked overtime trying to piece together everything he knew. Of course they were hidden from human observation  no  human technology -radar or satellite  , would have found them in the sky. Even the best NASA science paled into insignificance compared to any  Alien technology. What do they want?  

Then as if in answer to his question the underneath of the ship opened and the heavens  filled with Daleks raining down upon the Earth. 

                                         ************************************

Shocked, the Doctor immediately set The Tardis back down towards Earth. 

His phone buzzed in his pocket. It was Wilfred Mott , there were very few Humans that the Doctor accorded the honour of this direct contact, Martha was one, and Wilf another…. ‘Ahh , hello Wilf ,It’s ok I’ve just seen them  what can I do for you? I hope you’re all home safe.‘

‘Wilfred s voice crackled down the line , he sounded scared and close to tears - his words came out in a rush; ‘Doctor , where are you? Those monsters are amongst us again; people are dying here .There’s something else too Doctor , some of us are  just disappearing into thin air.’  ,Wilfred was beside himself now   ‘Donna hasn’t  come home;  she should have been back by now! ’ 

The Doctor ground his teeth in anger; the Daleks will regret this , I am the oncoming storm ; they will not get away with this.

‘Doctor are you still there?’

‘Yes , yes it’s ok Wilf , Listen whatever’s happened to Donna , she’s still alive  and I will bring her  back to you.’

‘How can you be so sure Doctor?’

‘Because I know the Daleks  , they will use her to get to me!’

‘Doctor , I want to help what can I do?’

‘Nothing Wilf- just stay inside’

‘Doctor , its my only grandchild that  they’ve taken, I have to do something.’

The TARDIS ,lurched and juddered as she materialised  back on Earth , causing The Doctor to stumble, as he fought to gain control.

‘Wilf, you will be a big help to me if you just stay put; do that for me.’

‘Doctor , just bring her back..’ 

Wilfreds broken voice tugged at the Doctors hearts , never had he hated the Daleks as much as he did right now.

‘I promise, now I have to go’ 

Opening the TARDIS door he peered out , the scene of devastation that met him cut him to the core it was always hard for him to see the suffering of these humans. So full of faults The Doctor knew this - and yet somehow so alive and vibrant .  

Piles of smouldering  rubble replaced what were once homes and other buildings as  fireballs  shot from the sky, leaving gaps between buildings looking to all intents and purposes  like gappy smiles.